Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 21:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/164/135
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default HELP - afraid to start exercising again!

hi everyone,

i started atkins last september and was rolling along quite nicely until january (lost about 20 pounds, which is okay).

before i started atkins, i was a religious exerciser - cardio 3-4x per week, plus weight training 2-3x per week (upper and lower). however, when i started atkins last september, i focused solely on the nutritional side and stopped exercising (i know, crazy but true; i also started travelling extensively overseas which contributed to my falling off the exercise wagon).

my weight loss has stalled since january (not a pound lost!), so i've decided that it may be time to bring exercise back into the mix. but, seeing that my motivation is flagging, i'm really afraid to start training again and see the pounds creep up (due to muscle gain, etc.).

my question is this - if i start my cardio and weight training regimen again, am i going to gain a lot of weight? or, will it jump start my weight loss again?

your advice is much appreciated!

Last edited by littlemel : Mon, Apr-07-03 at 21:08.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 07:03
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

well I'm no expert by any measure, but of course you will see gain in muscle...but you will see the inches come down (at least that is what I am hoping...lol) eventually it will all equal out and the inches as well as the weight will come off. I get freaked out in the beginning also. I started back last Saturday and got on the scale Monday morning and saw a 7lb gain! I was shocked! Then KoKo told me about muscle holding water etc. It all makes sense, but does not help with my distress when I see the scale move upward...on top of that I see no reduction in the tape measure...so I hope to be able to hold off on the weighing/measuring at least until this weekend...

Gail
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%

What is more important to you? Looking and feeling better, or obsessing over some number on a scale.
If you want to look better, you should exercize. Building muscle helps two ways.
1. You will be burning fat while you exercize.
2. Muscle requires more energy than fat, so you will be raising your base metabolism. (you burn more fat even when you are not exercizing)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:20
Registered Member

Stats: 290.5/225/170
BF:
Progress: 54%

What's up littlemel?

I am on Atkins also and started working out about 6 weeks ago. Using an old NordicFlex for strength training and a CardioMax stationary bike for cardio, go figure. I am preparing to start the BFL challenge the first of next month. I have a heart condition so I started very slow and am now working my way up. Really getting there too.

Anyway, I have continued to drop pounds but at a slower rate. I'll tell ya though, I'm with RodeRash on this one. Don't let the scale be you're nemesis man. You've done well with your program and adding exercise can only do you good. Converts fat to muscle and turns up your metabolism making it harder to gain fat weight. As long as you stay faithful to the nutrition and exercise programs the results will come.

Remember also, how much muscle weight you gain depends on the type of exercise you do. Work out with less weight and more reps and you'll only burn fat and maintain and tone the muscle you have now. Then if you want to bulk up go heavy when you reach your goal weight.

Check out my journal and you can see where I started this journey. This stuff really works and I'm, luckily, living proof.

Rick
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 21:07

Stats: 185/164/135
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default thanks for the support and encouragement

thanks for really underscoring the importance of exercise in the whole health picture.

i am happy to report that i did my cardio and weight training routine last night (after many months!) and feel much better today. i am going to keep off the scale (well, for a week at least )

and i'm going to do what i've been planning to do for a long time: dig out my tape measure and USE it!

you know, i was quite surprised that i could do about 75% of the cardio and weight capacity that i did about 8 months ago - yay! so, i'm not starting at zero. as a result, i feel motivated to keep working out since i enjoyed - rather than hated - the workout.

i'll keep you posted. i know in my heart that exercise is key; it's just getting my brain and body in line with my heart!

thanks again for the encouragement!
littlemel
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 09:53
Registered Member

Stats: 290.5/225/170
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
thanks again for the encouragement

No problem man!!!

Glad the workout went so well. I have gotten addicted to it.

Keep up the positive attitude man. Getting started is always the hardest part for me. Once you get some momentum up though, it's really never as bad as you thought it would be and most times quite pleasant.

Rick