Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 10:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/150/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Looking for Low Carb stores in Toronto

Hello everyone.....

I'm living in Toronto and have been searching the web for any information on low carb retailers in the Toronto area......I can't find anything ! I am especially interested in LC bars......meal replacement ones. Does anyone have a source to share ?

I have just started the Atkins plan, and have stalled numerous times because I made mistakes.....went back to carbs one meal to relieve a headache, didn't think alcohol was a bad idea, so had a glass of wine with dinner etc.......you know the pitfalls ! Now that I am back on track, I am looking for ways to "liven up" the meat, meat, meat doldrums. Anyone have any ideas or advice ?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 12:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hello Puphappy,

Click the Low-Carb yellow pages link on the right, there are a few listings.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 11:43

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%

I just found a really great store in Oakville. Sports Nutrition Depot. They have a website www.sndcanada.com
Lots of protein powders and bars.

If you want to buy the syrups in Toronto, do a search for gaggia and you'll find a thread that gives directions to the wholesaler.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 10:31
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

You should be able to find those bars at a Health Food Store in Toronto (ie. The Big Carrot). I know they are in all the health food stores in Newmarket, where I live. If we have them, T.O. should have them.

Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 08:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/150/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default LC Bars

Tried several Health Food stores - similar bars available, but none that are really low carb. One was only a couple grams of carb. but contained refined sugar (?). Checked with the Big Carrot - they inform me that they do not carry any products that have been "genetically modified". Not sure how that applies to the Atkins bar. Still looking !
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 13:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132.5/127/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default toronto low carbing

Hi,

I live in Bolton actually but I was in Woodbridge on the weekend looking for exactly the same answers. So, I went to GNC and bought chocolate protein poweder/low carb. Really expensive. Its called Isopure. Looked at the Atkins bars and shake mix and decided not. I think sweet taste is not helpful right now for me. Anyway, mixed the stuff with a glass of soy milk "Belsoy" (it has no sugar or really much carbs...1 maybe. Threw it in blender. Sometimes throw in peanut butter...sugar free too and I like the one with no salt either. Each to her own. Its o.k. not as filling as I would have liked. But I didn't use crushed ice in it. I suspect this will make it better. I know this is really kinda wierd but I smoosh ricotta and peanut butter together too, I suppose you could add cocoa and splenda. This mixture is a lot like Italian cannoli centers. So sometimes I have that for snack or breakfast. I dip feta cheese in olive oil too. Strange eating habits but it breaks the meat meat meat....good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 18:12
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: LC Bars

Quote:
Originally posted by Puphappy
One was only a couple grams of carb. but contained refined sugar (?).

Checked with the Big Carrot - they inform me that they do not carry any products that have been "genetically modified". Not sure how that applies to the Atkins bar. Still looking !

Hi Puphappy:

If the bar was only a couple of grams of carbs, I would guess that it doesn't have sugar. More likely splenda or sugar alcohols (ie. maltitol). Do you remember the brand name? You are right though, there are a lot of "high protein"/"low carb" bars out there that use lots of sugar.

As for the Big Carrot not carrying Atkins, I'm assuming they claim that Atkins uses GMOs. That's the first I've heard about Atkins using GMOs (genetically engineered food). BUT, I don't think the packaging states that the bars are non-GMO. I don't eat them, so I don't have a label to look at. However, in most cases, if it isn't labelled "non-GMO", you can assume it is GMO. You'd have to contact Atkins to find out for certain. Considering that Atkins advocates eating organic, I think his bars should be organic and non-GMO. It'd be interesting to find out.

As for the Atkins bars, Nature's Emporium and Ambrosia in Newmarket carry these bars. If you can't find them where you are, maybe they can send them to you. Like Smurfette said, GNC also carries the Atkins bars.

If you want more info about GMOs, go to the following links:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/harvest/viewpoints/
http://www.dadamo.com/frankenbase/list.cgi

Hope this helps,
Wanda