Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 253/206/170 Female 5 foot 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Stevia? Okay for low carbers wanting to lose pounds?

I heard that Stevia is awesome as a sweetner and has NO carbs (as opposed to Splenda that has one carb).

BUT, I just read that Stevia makes your pancreas release insulin. I thought we wantd to avoid this? Am I confused?

Thanks,

kitten
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 18:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/126/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi kitten,
Don't know about the insulin, but I got some samples of Stevia sent to me (for $2.00) so I could try it (since it was so natural). I think it's terrible tasting. I really like Splenda (even if it does has ONE carb), but the Stevia tastes very much like sacharin to me and leaves an aftertaste too. But that's just my opinion.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi! The stevia is extremely sweet, so there's no way you could eat enough of it to get much of an insulin response.

...and, as thinkthin pointed out, it doesn't taste too great. I use it anyway, though, because I want to minimize my use of the unnatural stuff like Splenda. I've never tried baking with it, but I use it in my coffee. A tad of Splenda plus a drop or two of stevia.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:27
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If the stevia is tasting bad, you may be using too much. If you over do it, it gets an extreamly bitter taste.

Stevia is great, and can be used by people who have candidia. I use the kind with the good type of fiber added. My only complaint is that it doesn't always disolve and your left with a nasty chunk. The liquid I have to be extreamly careful not to use to much of and getting to the nasty tasting stage.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 13:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi LadyBelle - I think that was the case with me. If I use one drop in my coffee, it's fine. Two drops, and I can start to taste a hint of the aftertaste. Three drops, blech!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 13:07
Registered Member

BF:
Default HELP! Anyone know about insulin and LC ??

Stevia is supposed to be a wonderful thing for us LC'ers (an alternative to Splenda as a sweetner) but, look what I found!!

"Stevia helps pancreas release INSULIN!" (I thought that's what we don't want!!?? )

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/column.asp?Id=296

Help me figure this out, please. I'm an "anatomy dummy".

Thanks a ton!!

Kitten
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 13:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSynn
"Stevia helps pancreas release INSULIN!" (I thought that's what we don't want!!?? )

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/column.asp?Id=296

Help me figure this out, please. I'm an "anatomy dummy".

Thanks a ton!!

Kitten

I tracked down the actual study (abstract) ... and it's not really clear just how much stevia was used to elicit this response. Nonetheless, stevia is normally only used in very tiny amounts, just a drop or two.

If you are low carbing "cleanly", it's unlikely that the insulin output would be enough to work against your efforts. If you're a Type 2 diabetic on blood sugar-lowering medication, it might be prudent to discuss using stevia with your dr.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 14:48
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302/350/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: -32%

Quote:
A study conducted at the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark, found that stevioside enhances insulin secretion from mouse pancreatic islets in the presence of glucose.

It seems like they don't know why or how it works, but when there is glucose in your blood stevia makes your pancreas work better.
They did not test the effects of stevia when there is no glucose present.
So I would not worry about it for now.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:11
Registered Member

BF:

WHEW Thanks you guys!!

Kitten
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 12:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 225/219/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Stevia is really sweet, and not as rounded as sugar in taste. I use stevia powdered extract, from Sweet Leaf. 1/3 of a teaspoon sweetens an entire pitcher of tea, one tap of the shaker is all I need in a cup of coffee. I didn't love it at first but find I am accustomed to it and now I really like it. I think its a powerful ally. I have decided to phase Splenda out of our lives.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:25

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

I am a hypoglycemic, and can't even deal with Splenda. However, stevia works just fine for me without upsetting my blood sugar at all. It really does have to be dilute, and I've had bad luck with certain brands as being more bitter. I prefer the purified Stevia Extract from Now. I use just the end of a teaspoon handle to scoop up what is probably 1/32 of a teaspoon to sweeten a whole pot of tea. I find that this brand dissolves more readily, and doesn't have any added starches or other carbs.