Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 13:21

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default 65% fat/30% protein/5% carbs

Hi all --

I am relatively new to all this, having been LCing for about seven weeks now. I am not "on" one of the major plans, but have been exposed to Protein Power second hand. I have some questions about absolute calories and distribution.

I am 6'0", Male, 42 y/o, started at 277 lbs and am down to at least 265 (have not weighed myself in two weeks)

I use Fitday.com to compute my daily intake, and break that down into component parts. BTW, you can see what I eat on my journal in this forum, called "raharris meditative LC journal." The breakdown in percentages is something like 65% fat/30% protein/5% carbs -- and the averages look like, approximately:

calories: 2000
fat: 125
carbs: 30
protein: 130

So -- how is all that? Do the percentages look healthy, do they look as though I am promoting weight loss? Should any of the numbers go up or down?

I appreciate any comments -- thanks --
Robert Vimala

KN, Theragatha 50: Vimala

The earth's sprinkled
with rain, wind
is blowing, lightening
wanders the sky,
but my thoughts are stilled,
well centered
my mind.

Last edited by raharris : Thu, Aug-15-02 at 13:37.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 13:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Great percentages

BUT your calories should be around 10 - 12 times your body weights. If you dont eat enough you will slow your metabolism down and weight loss might slow or stall.

Akiwican
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 13:38

Plan: Southbeach (Phase 2)
Stats: 162/160/130 Female 5'3"
BF:32/%/?/20%
Progress: 6%

IMHO,
I would suggest you read through Protein Power. I keep a copy at my office and also at home. It is a great reference that I use over and over again.
I haven't read Living Low Carb. I don't know if that book gets into the physiology of low carb, but you should really get to know the nuts and bolts of the WOE and then modify to what works for you.

Judi
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 13:45

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Thank you!

Thank you Awiwican and Judi B. -- and may I say that was =fast=!

Awiwican -- 10x my body weight in calories would be about 2600, or about 600 more than I am consuming now. Are you suggesting that I have to eat about 600 =more= calories/day (4,200 =more= a week) in order to =lose= weight?! I am not arguing with you here, it's just that the suggestion strikes me as so counterintuitive!

Maybe the Drs Eades discuss this in *Protein Power*? And this brings me to Judi B -- yes, I think you are right. The answers to this and other issues that concern me are probably in that book, and I should just buy it. Thanks for the prompt!

Cheers -- Robert Vimala
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Search

Quote:
Originally posted by raharris
Awiwican -- 10x my body weight in calories would be about 2600, or about 600 more than I am consuming now. Are you suggesting that I have to eat about 600 =more= calories/day

Yes, thats exactly what I am saying. I know its hard to believe but if you do a search on here you will see lots of threads with this topic. The rules are all different with this WOE {way of eating}. Enjoy it!

Akiwican
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 15:17

Plan: Southbeach (Phase 2)
Stats: 162/160/130 Female 5'3"
BF:32/%/?/20%
Progress: 6%

Yeah, there's alot of great info in Protein Power. You will determine what your lean body mass (LBM) is based on a chart and figure out how much protein, based on LBM, you should be eating per meal.
Hope this helps!!!
Judi