Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Hair Loss

Has anyone else noticed that their hair fell out on Atkins?

About 3 months after starting the diet my hair starting coming out.

The rapid hair loss continued for three more months (to today).

I now have noticeably thinner hair and my scalp is showing along my part (i.e., not on the part itself but next to it where the hair would normally cover it).

Since I"m a woman, I feel like a freak.

My doctor thinks its the diet. I've been taking all the supplements, so I don't see how it could be the diet, but that's what she thinks.

Has anyone else lost hair on Atkins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 14:42

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%

A lot of people on this WOE complain of hairloss. I began again in March and started losing hair in May. It finally stopped in Sept. I started to take Biotin in August. 2500mcg. Found it at GNC. Some people use it. I can't swear it helped but I see new hair growth now and I'm not losing.... By the way, some feel it's because of the stress to your body at the rate of losing the weight is why the hair falls out.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 15:20

BF:
Default thanks bebet

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone and that a bald future is not necessarily in store for me.

Do you notice new hair growth because you see short little hairs cropping up and sticking up all over your head? My hairdresser said that that sometimes happens.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 16:01

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

[QUOTE=rhaazz]Has anyone else noticed that their hair fell out on Atkins?

About 3 months after starting the diet my hair starting coming out.

The rapid hair loss continued for three more months (to today).

I now have noticeably thinner hair and my scalp is showing along my part (i.e., not on the part itself but next to it where the hair would normally cover it).

Since I"m a woman, I feel like a freak.
QUOTE]

Well, think of it this way...you'll be a sexy bald woman! Hey, some of us men like that! (Star Trek movie...now she was beautiful!)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 17:51
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Rhazz,

You might find some help from the advice given here from the Low Carb Luxury site: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...07.html#letters

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:01

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I had the same thing happen to me, and after freaking out I did some research and found out that this is common to many that lose a lot of weight over a relatively short time. It is just a normal reaction our body has to what it sees as a major change or stress. My hair loss has now stopped and it seems to be starting to fill back in. Good luck and keep losing (weight not hair!)
Marie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:15
Registered Member

Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It has been happening to me for several months also. I had never, ever lost any hair due to age, but after being on this diet for a while, it started occuring.

I think that taking a multivitamin may help a bit, although I do not have any solid proof to back that up.

TC
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 19:43

BF:

Rosebud I love you. God bless you.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 06:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/162/137 Female 5 foot 2inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have lost so much hair - I am starting to worry too! I started LC in May and started losing hair in August and I,m still losing. I hope it gets better - especially as I am starting to head into pre-maintenance - as my hair used to be my pride and joy but now its limp lifeless and i am thinking of getting it cut off.

At least I feel like i have other good attributes now- like size 6 jeans on my ever decresing butt!!!!

I hope it starts coming back soon - but you are not alone if that makes you feel better .. and that link helped me too!

Claire

Last edited by usedtobero : Wed, Oct-29-03 at 06:12.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 08:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/184/129 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I too has SEVERE hair loss problems, to the point that I almost stopped LCing. As it's described in the article Rosebud provided, eventually it did stop. Most of the hair has grown back and though I still loose a bit of hair it is nothing out of the ordinary.
Be patient, it will stop.

Good Luck to you,

Mary
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 07:35

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I have noticed alot of long brown hair around my sink too! It is scary to see so much hair in the sink and on the brush and comb. How can you possibly lose that much hair and not be bald? I had waist length hair and I was very proud of it because it is so healthy for being so long and for my age (45). Two weeks ago I had about 8 inches cut off (God, I miss it already, should never have cut it this short). Anyway, it seems like it is coming out more and more. I have been lcing since May. But I remember in 1991 I and my DH almost divorced and I can remember my hair falling out then too. So I do agree the stressful events in our lives have a direct connection. GREAT! My dear mother had a severe stroke a week ago and it left her paralyzed on the left side, I guess with this added stress this week I should be bald by New Years! But hey, I am 31 pounds lighter!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 08:37

Stats: 225/192.5/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I agree that stress can cause hair loss...BTDT! LOL But if the loss is significant, maybe you should have your thyroid function checked out. It never hurts to make sure that everything is in working order.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 12:27

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Unhappy Omg!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaazz
Has anyone else noticed that their hair fell out on Atkins?

Has anyone else lost hair on Atkins?

YES!!! And I never once connected it to LC'ing! Never entered my mind! At first I didn't mind it falling out (in GOBS). I'm a natural redhead and have VERY thick hair and way too much! I used to have my hairdressor thin it out for me. But over the past months, it's been getting thinner and thinner (around my hairline) on it's own and I wondered why! Well, this is very depressing. I hoped I would get thin on this WOE, but only my body...not my head!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 14:39

BF:
Cool

I just went to see my dermatologist about it. He said that it should turn around. Also, on my head, the loss has dramatically slowed. (It IS amazing, though, how much you can lose before you start to see scalp, isn't it?)

According to websites I've read about telogen effluvium, the hair falls out when the follicle switches from resting to active -- so it's really the new hair that's pushing the old hair out. So you shouldn't worry that you're going bald -- you're really just getting a brand new crop of very short hair.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 15:00

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

Y'all must be young folks! I noticed my hair seemed to be falling out more rapidly than usual (fortunately, no bald spots) but just attributed it to peri-menopause. Anything weird that happens to me at my age (44) I just attribute to getting closer and closer to the big M stage of life! Oh to be in my thirties again - NOT. Well maybe just my thirties-year-old skin.