Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 07:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%
Question Serotonin

Does anyone have the low-down on the effects of diet on serotonin? TSP says you need some carbs to produce sufficient mood-enhancing serotonin. The PPLP says you need cholesterol to inhibit the reuptake of sertonin. (TSP probably agrees.) Yet PPLP say there is nothing essential in carbs so you don't really need any at all. We know that the Eskimos eat few carbs. I haven't heard that they all walk around depressed. Moreoever, Stefansson and Andersen were not reported to be depressed during their year of eating nothing but meat and fish.

So what's the story?

Sheldon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 09:45

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default I don't know Sheldon..

I wish I had a good technical answer for you. All I have is my experience.
I do the st john's wort as Dr S suggests.
It does seem to help.
As to the carb situation..if I get so I am a little low on the blood sugar side, I do get "snappish"...
I don't know if I consider that "depressed" or just a symptom of Hypoglycemia.
I do know that a little more carb than the atkins induction keeps me from that most of the time
I am sure others here have better answrs!
:-)
Poofie!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 02:47

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Sheldon,

I found this information on sertonin:
Human mood disorders (depressions) are effectively treated with drugs which specifically block the reuptake of serotonin into the presynaptic axon terminal, for example fluoxetine (Prozac). The resultant enhanced serotonin activation brings about a cascade of events ultimately resulting in a reduced sensitivity of presynaptic autoreceptors for serotonin and reduced serotonin synthesis. This suggests that neurotransmitter dysregulation may be involved in depressive disorders.
and
Hunger or appetite is reduced by drugs which elevate serotonin levels in the brain (e.g. fenfluramine/Pondimin or dexfenfluramine/Redux) making these drugs popular in the treatment of obesity. Drugs which have the opposite effect, that is they reduce serotonin levels, produce an increase in carbohydrate craving and intake. While the relationship is a very complex one, we believe that serotonin is involved in regulating appetite and hunger.

At this site: http://www.csuchico.edu/psy/BioPsych/serotonin.html

Interesting. The thing which caught my eye of course was the bit about carbohydrate cravings. I haven't managed to find anything on the effects of diet on sertonin production, uptake or levels yet however.
My personal experience is similar to that of Poofie. When eating a 'normal' diet I used to have dramatic mood swings in the mornings, mostly towards the angry side I'm afraid. Since low carbing this no longer happens and I am generally more calm and able to cope. I think this is linked to constant blood sugar levels more than serotonin though.

Good luck with your research - keep us informed please!

Robert
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 07:10

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Cool again.. I haven't a clue :-)

But having suffered from wild mood swings in the last few years monthly.. I can tell you that I stll have a but of a swing associated with my cycle, but nothing with the violence that I had been having.
Again..is it the fact that my blood sugars even out.. even for that TOM... or is it serotonin again.
I do know that my craving center is so good that even during that time... I will think "oh.. I want such and such"...and then reality hits..and its like.. "no. I really don't want that".
Its a unique feeling. Not to be so controlled by cravings and emotions..
Poofie