Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 20:17

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%
Default Hi! I am new!

I started Atkins almost 5 days ago. It's been VERY hard and I am still dragging..havent felt the energy surge I read about yet. My husband is VERY critical and not super supportive and my mom keeps telling me this is bad for my heart....

ANYWAY... I am 28 years old and I have 2 beautiful children, a 3.5 year old son and almost 2 year old daughter. I am a stay at home mom.

I have been heavy my whole life...it was originally because I had an uncontrolled thyroid but beyond age 12 I guess it has been more of a food addiction issue....food for comfort, cant go to bed w/o SUGAR! Sugar first thing in the morning was a must.

I feel sad becuase I miss my sugar SO terribly! I crave Coke like crazy and my husband wanted to get a pizza for dinner... oY!

I am not hugely fond of meat but am learning to make things I like so I dont have to eat so many eggs.... lol

ANYWAY... I have 140 pounds to lose and REALLY need support so I am incredibly greatful to have found this board!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi Wenzday and welcome to the forum! It is good to have you here with us. From personal experience I can tell you that induction is the hardest part but if you do it clean you will lose a lot of the cravings you once had. If you cheat you just keep feeding those cravings. I know it is hard. I felt awful. I am doing great now though and you will be before long too. There is a sub-forum on here for people that have more than 100 lbs. to lose. You might want to check that out. By the way...I used to drink 5 and 6 (and sometimes more) cokes a day and now I don't even think about them. This works...just give yourself a little time to adjust. And tell your hubby NO PIZZA! Good luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 20:37

Stats: 292/217.5/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 67%
Wink

Wenzday,

I have been on Atkins for about 6 weeks now and have lost 22 lbs so please don't give up during the first few weeks! I promise you that it will get easier. I too got sick of eggs for breakfast so I opted for something like turkey or ham between 2 slices of provolone. It was strange to have it for breakfast, but it was a nice change.

I have over 100 lbs to lose myself, so you and I are in the same boat. When I crave something or am tempted, I just remind myself that those are the things that made me overweight in the first place. And then, believe it or not, I find comfort in knowing that those particular temptations are not going away and that later on in life they will still be there should I want them ( in moderation of course!).

Good luck! Hang in there....and drink lots of water!!!

#4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 20:55

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Welcome Wenzday!

I hear you about sugar before bed and upon waking (and even more sugar if you happen to wake up in the middle of the night too!). It's great you have made a start on this WOE and it's true-- The first week or so is the hardest then it gets incredibly easy. Stick to your guns and don't cheat and the funky feeling will pass before you know it. My hubby and friends/family were very skeptical when I started Atkins too. After a few months of seeing your success they will come around (mine surprisingly did!). I find this board incredibly helpful for sharing menu ideas. I post all of my new recipes in my journal and you are welcome to stop by for ideas. I bet in no time you will have your whole family eagerly eyeing your LC food. Mine now likes the LC food BETTER than their old stuff. Well, welcome! Why don't you start yourself a journal? It is quite helpful!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 21:04

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

You go girl... good for you, don't let your family stop you. I have never heard of Atkins being bad for the heart though, I thought it was just your kidneys that you had to watch.

The others are right, the cravings pass unless you succumb - and then you're in the whole insulin cycle again and your body just cries out for it.

I know I'm not supposed to have aspartame but I just love my Diet Coke, and I haven't given up caffeine and am still losing well. But be warned, apparently Caffeine makes your blood sugar plummet making you hungry, so be aware of this if you choose to go the diet coke route.

GOOD LUCK I know you'll do well, and who knows, even your family may change their tune when they see those pounds just sliding off you!

YOU GO GIRL!!!!