Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 19:46

Plan: CKD
Stats: 250/175/165
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Is fitday's daily expenditure estimate accurate?

Hi. I've been lurking for about a month now and just decided to start a CKD in an attempt to lose some bodyfat.. I started with the ketogenic phase as recommended and I'm almost done with day 2 now. Everything's going fine but I want to make sure I'm eating the right amount. (this is a bit complicated)

I'm 5'11", about 175 pounds and 19 years old. fitday and other formulas tell me my BMR is around 1900-1950. I'm at college so I walk around a lot every day, up and down stairs, so I picked 'seated work, some movement' which gives me 1200 more calories.. so anyhow fitday tells me that maintenance if I don't work out beyond daily activity is 3186 calories.

so how many calories should I eat during the ketogenic days? body weightx12 is 2100 and that means that if fitday is correct I'll run up a deficit of more than 1000 per day on low-carb days.. is that healthy? eating more than 2100 per day would be nice but could I really lose weight at that level?

some background info that may be relevant:

I lost 35 pounds over the summer by exercising almost every day(cardio only) for a minimum of 700 calories' worth of activity, often more like 1000. I didn't restrict my diet beyond avoiding obvious junk foor (doritos and candy).

I didn't do any research beforehand (I was mostly exercising for fun anyhow) and I wasn't getting enough protein/calories or doing any resistance training so I lost a noticeable amount of upper body muscle mass as well. this was a bad cycle and, predictably, I stopped losing weight toward the end of the summer...

since about a month ago, I do weights every other day, I'd say moderate intensity(25-35 minutes). I've already put back on what I lost and I'm building from there. I do cardio in the form of aggressive inline rollerblading (rollerblading plus bursts of jumping, basically..) and I'm going to do it or some other exercise in the morning 5 days a week.

one more thing I noticed is that my body temperature is quite low. it was 96.7 or 96.8 on waking and hasn't gone above 97.8 all day. Did I temporarily kill my thyroid with the bad nutrition I had over the summer?

any recommendations, especially on the calorie issue, would be appreciated.

Sorry for the novel
Sponsored Links