Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 05:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/160/160
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default urine is YELLOW!

Good morning everyone,
I just woke up this morning and noticed I have the most unbelievably dark yellow urine in the world! I can not even see the bottom of the toilet. I am of course on the Atkin's diet and wonder how much water I need to drink to get the urine clear or semi-clear? Should I start drinking 2-3 glasses before I go to bed at night? I try to drink as much water as possible during the day but am skeptical about drinking at night or before bed in fear of getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and all. I also notice when I wake up in the morning my throat is very dry and it feels like I just ran a marathon. Plus, what can be done for the baggy eyes I seem to have on this diet? IS this all just a case of needing more water, or is there a vitamin or mineral I am lacking? Advice would be much appreciated, and everybody have a GREAT day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:23

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Are you taking the Atkins #3 supplement after each meal? That could make your urine very dark yellow.
Quote:
I try to drink as much water as possible during the day
Are you drinking at least eight 8 oz. glasses during the day? It could be that you are not getting enough water during the day. I never had the baggy eyes problem or dry, morning throat while LCing.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 08:01

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default That doesn't sound right

It is alarming to hear of someone's urine being that dark. My urine is always darker in the morning but it is still straw color and I am not a big water drinker. During the day it is almost clear. Are you losing really fast? I don't understand the dark circles under your eyes.

Seriously, You should have this checked if there is no immediate change.

JMO,
black57
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 08:44

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%

My urine is usually very bright yellow- almost gatorade bright- during the middle of the day. I'm pretty sure it's from the multivitamin I'm taking. I drink 5-8 16oz glasses of water everyday so I'm pretty sure it's not from lack of water. I get a lot of water in when I take my supplements. In the morning I take 2 multivitamins, 2 fish oil, 2 st. john's wart, and 1 calcium. If I swallow each pill one at a time with a big gulp of water I have 1.5-2 glasses (16oz.) already down. Then I take the remainder of my supplements right before I eat dinner- 1 calcium, 1 st. john's wart, 1 fish oil, and 2 l- glutamine. Take them all with a big gulp of water for each pill and that's another 16 oz glass of water gone. By then you'll have met your 64 oz requirement even if you don't drink anymore during the day.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 08:46

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Yellow comes from vitamins, or dehydration. If you are drinking enough water - than its probably the vitamins. Some foods also color your urine. Unless you see blood or have pain in your bladder or urethra I would not concern myself.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:06

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I agree, most likely the vitamin. A multi, especially one containing a good amount of B vitamins, will definitely dye your urine. Mine is sometimes flourescent!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:38

Stats: 223.5/186/130
BF:Don't Know
Progress: 40%

I take Atkins #3 vitamins and that happens to me sometimes. I read somewhere that if your body doesnt need to use the vitamins then you just pee it out. Dont know if it is true or not.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

You should definitely take a multivitamin, although it will turn your pee bright yellow. If your urine is that dark in the morning and you feel thirsty, you're probably dehydrated. I know it's a drag to get up in the middle of the night, but you really should drink a couple of glasses before bed, otherwise you're going for well over eight hours with no water. Funny thing is, after a couple of weeks, your body will probably adjust. The first two weeks I was getting up to pee two or three times a night when I only drank two litres a day. Starting the third week, I usually made it through the night with no trips to the bathroom. Now I drink at least four litres a day, drink up until bedtime and almost always sleep through the night.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 10:46

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

I also wake up with a horribly dry mouth. I can barely speak when I first wake up!

And my urine is very light and somewhat cloudy...
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 12:24

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Vitamins and supplements can make your urine darker colors, for sure.

Dry mouth can also be caused by not consuming enough water or by seasonal agergies which are kicking in for most people at this time... Or perhaps you ate some extra salty foods yesterday?

Donald