Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 21:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/240/170 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress:
Default How can I make it go faster?

Hello. I got on Atkins in july for a reason probably different than most of you. I have an unbearable crush on a classmate of mine (not just some petty crush...I've had plenty of crushes in my 20 years, but none of them made me actually try losing weight) , and have no way of dating a girl like her with my current looks. What this means is that there is some sort of a mental deadline in my head that's strongly pressuring me to get results quickly, an inconvenience you guys don't seem to have.

I'm currently at 240 (25lbs loss), hoping to lose another 70lbs ASAP (170 is the ideal weight for a 5"6, isn't it?). I've been stalled for a long time, and when I stopped seeing results as impressive as those of the first three weeks, I started doing some minor cheating (like occasionally eating 5 raisins, or 5 nuts, or some such). [EDITED: after reading that "carb blowout day helped me get past my stall" thread, I went out this evening and bought a cheeseburger and onion rings]

I've read in the other posts that you stop seeing quick results after induction (btw I never left induction), and the results of other forum members showed weak weight loss that became significant over long periods of time. I simply don't have time. So I'd like to know what it is I can do to make Atkins (or weight loss in general) significantly more effective. I was hoping to lose the 70lbs in 3 months, no matter what extremes I must go to.

Any help?

Last edited by Noram : Tue, Aug-26-03 at 22:01.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 22:04
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'll help...<SLAP> Now that I have your attention....

Weight loss does slow after the induction stage. Period.

You seem to think none of us know what it feels like to want to lose weight quickly, by your opening statement...au contraire! Most of us HAVE learned, though, that it isn't prudent or SAFE to try to make our bodies lose more than it's SAFE to do!

If this girl is so wonderful, she WOULD like you for who you are. I'm sure you'll glaze over at that statement, but it's true. Besides, if you end up making yourself sick trying to lose weight at an unnatural/impossible pace, that would impress her how?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 22:37

BF:
Progress:

potato, I think you're unfamiliar with the harsh reality of today's youth. Looks are everything nowadays. What might be considered a cute perk in a handsome guy will be considered repulsing in a fat guy. If I were her, I wouldn't go out with me (and this isn't a question of poor self-image, it's a question of honesty).

I'm in love with her beauty mostly. I bet I wouldn't have bothered if she had been ugly. After all there is nothing exceptional in her personality that doesn't exist in other girls. However because she's beautiful, I am pre-disposed to like her. Why should I expect her to treat others any differently?

I know this board is mainly populated by women, which is why I expect some people to get pissed at my cynicism, or my shallowness. But I can't help how I feel. Sorry.

(Btw, my weight loss isn't supposed to impress her...in fact, I hope she doesn't remember the old me when we meet again in the future. If she does I'll probably lose my shot)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 22:46
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

You know, I'm not going to go off on a rant about how you don't KNOW harsh reality until you've watched someone you love DIE because they do something extreme to lose weight. My father died having weight loss surgery whaen I was much younger than you.

You already have your mind made up.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 22:49
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

Noram..i lost weight for a guy before...20pounds in a summer...but i did it the unhealthy way..i stopped eating. I've been trying to shed 20pounds this summer again..and its been slooooow!
The problem w/ losing alot of weight in a short period of time is that it comes back in a short period of time...
I completely understand the whole youth thing..i'm only 21... But i sorta agree w/ potatoe to a degree...she would like you for you...hell..i've liked all sorts of guys because of their personalities..i just think its shallow to go by looks all the time..cuz you never know if you'll end up w/ a great looking person w/ a dull personality...
It seems liek you are doing a great job so far! 25pounds is alot...hell..i've only lost 5...and i've been on this since for a while.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 22:51
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

Oh..i have a question..are you working out?? Are you drinking bucketloads of water? Make sure you drink a lot of water after eating the cheeseburger!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 23:02
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

*reality check*
Sorry, losing 70 lbs in 3 months is just flat unrealistic, on Atkins or on any other diet, unless you're very obese to begin with (like, 300+). Just doing the simple math, that works out to 23 lbs a month, or 5-6 lbs a week, or better than a half-pound a day, EVERY DAY. Ain't gonna happen, and that's all there is to it. It'll likely take you at least two or three months to lose that last 10 lbs alone -- weight loss slows dramatically as you get close to goal. Even if there were some magic trick we could pass on to you (and if any of us knew one, we'd be zillionaires), losing weight that fast is simply not healthy. No girl is worth permanent damage to your metabolism.

I'm 26, so maybe I'm not quite as out-of-touch with "today's youth" as you might think. I also met and fell in love with my now-husband three years ago, when he was at roughly your weight (though he's a bit taller). I simply don't buy your "looks are everything" argument, at least not when it comes to love and marriage. Yes, if all you're looking for is arm candy, looks are probably very important, but I think that's a pretty immature attitude for either party to have. And I thought that back when I was in college, too, and most of the other girls I knew felt the same. It usually only takes one bad experience with a good-looking jerk to convince us of that (well, some of us are quicker learners than others). Looks are pretty darn unimportant to a serious relationship, one that you expect to last over time. After all, they don't last forever; even the most beautiful girl will eventually get some wrinkles, and some gray, and some sags and bags, so you'd better hope there's something else there to fall back on when the beauty fades.
*end reality check*
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 23:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/188/150 Female 5 feet 8.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I have to agree with Atlee and I'm 27 so I'm not so out of touch either. . . I'm a very YOUNG 27 I might add! DONT go for this chickee just because she's pretty. . . . . heck I swoon over Orlando Bloom because he's a hottie but I'm not losing weight so he'll notice me! Ok I AM losing weight so he'll notice me. . . .just kidding. . . . bad joke. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that you WANT someone with a great personality . . looks fade and once you're left with a girl who's not drop dead gorgeous and just a "so so" personality what will this have been for??? I understand that you can't help how you feel but don't mistake a crush for something more and lemme tell you I KNOW about crushes. . . Orli's been in my dreams for two weeks straight!!!!

It will diminish with time, you'll have lost the weight the RIGHT way, you'll find someone who makes you HAPPY on more than just a physical level and won't even remember this girlie's name. . or maybe you WILL because you'll remember that you INITIALLY set out to do this because of her and that you are a much better person for it WITHOUT her! Did that make sense????

sorry if it didn't!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 23:49

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

I haven't read what others have posted but I'm sure they are all going to say the same thing. Even if you lose weight it is for the wrong reason. Let's think about this logically. First of all...just because you are thin doesn't automatically secure you a date with her does it? I met a lot of thin guys in my life and plenty of them I had no interest in other than a friend. Are you sure this is about your weight? Secondly, how superficial must she be if she would only date you if you lose weight? And doesn't that burn you up somewhere inside that she would be that superficial? Or is this your assumption? Have you even tried to approach her at your current weight....regardless we all know it's easier to secure a date when you're thin. I do remember single life. I can tell you though that relationships are far more than what you weigh. I have been married 8 years and looks fade both yours and hers will fade with time. Honestly you need to look within yourself and look within the other person and find a common ground. That cannot be tied to a number on the scale. You should feel better about yourself and pay more attention to yourself because you are a person of worth and if she doesn't see that then forget about her.

ANd maybe here is a question you would consider....are YOU overlooking women who are overweight???? If you are then you are guilty of the same thing she is guilty of. Maybe you are overlooking a wealth of women out there because they aren't the perfect size either! Just a few thoughts!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 05:50

BF:
Progress:

Vpeach, thanks for the encouraging words, but I think fat people lose far quicker, so it's understandable that I would lose 25 for your 6 when I'm almost double your weight

For those saying it's impossible to lose this fast, look here:
http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/7/17-476793.html
This guy around my age lost 106lbs in 5 months, and he started 25lbs above what I am right now. So it CAN be done on Atkins. Wish I had some way of contacting him to find out if he did anything special. Whatever he did, I can do it better if it ensured results.

I haven't actually made advances on the girl as she's way out of my league, so it wasn't her asking me to lose weight. It's something I felt I had to do on my own. The weight loss doesn't guarantee the date, but it significantly increases my chances. All I know is that beautiful girls don't go for ugly guys and vice versa.

"maybe here is a question you would consider....are YOU overlooking women who are overweight????"

Yes, unfortunately I do (at least when it comes to the ideal girlfriend). I've been conditionned, like many young men of my generation, to only respond to thin attractive girls. I know how unfair and hypocritical this is, but it's hard to get over this conditionment when the media has bombarded you with it since you're a kid. It's not just me though, women do the same...although they are certainly, and by far, the biggest victims of the media on this.

I must admit that atlee's, adriana's, and armywife's replies were pleasant to read. It's nice to know some people aren't as cynical as I am, and I know I'll be marrying someone for their personality and not their looks. However that's 10 years away, and right now I would give anything to be with this girl (hopefully she's a great person on the inside too).

School time. Adios.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 06:11

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noram
and right now I would give anything to be with this girl

Its called lust...lol. I very seriously doubt you could lose 70 lbs. in 3 months, although you could probably come close in 8 months. Go for it...when you get there if this one isn't around, there will be another who makes you just as hot...trust me...lol.

L
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 06:16

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

hmmm.. I am hoping to lose 70 pounds in 4 months but I really doubt its possible... you can only do SO much honestly... work out like CRAZY! get "The Firm" everyone I know who has done that has beautifully toned muscles in weeks... it's TOUGH though and you have to do it every day! You should do cardio 5-6 days a week also..before the firm. Stick to induction adn no cheats.... There's now way you can guarantee that loss but if you do all of that you are bound to look pretty darn good in 3 months
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 06:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/248/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Well, I give you credit for being honest, I am out of touch a bit at 39 and happily married for 16 years. And I agree with the post above, if not this girl if you losing the weight will increase your self esteem go for it as there will be another pretty girl out there who won't know about the previously fat you. But, for that to be true make sure you are losing it for you, or you can watch it all come back.

Secondly, I would again ask the question someond did earlier in the post, are you working out?? Girls can be superficial as well, I will be the first to admit I went out with my husband the first time (I was in college, he worked construction and I met him at a pizza place, not exactly the kind of guy my soriety sisters were looking at) because when I saw him all I saw was big arm muscles, that looked like they could give great hugs, a broad back, great tan and a pleasant smile. I truly expected to date him, and just have fun nothing more. I wanted that football player physicque! Somewhere along the way the relationship changed, but I wouldn't have given him a second glance had it not been for the muscles or the smile. So good luck, get exercise even if you don't lose the 70 pounds right away, you can easily lose inches in the process and compensate for some of the extra weight by toning up. The real question is are you willing to work that hard, you said you would do anything, does that include eating healthy on plan so you have the energy to work out, and then actually working out???
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 06:50

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

Do what actors do to lose weight for movies:
RUN, RUN and RUN.
If you run you will get lean, the more you run the leaner you will get. This is the best exercise to lose weight, and if you watch your food intake drink plenty of water and run the weight will fall off faster than anything else you choose to do. Get yourself up to an hour a day and you will see amazing results in a short period of time.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 06:57

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Noram, I'm not going to get into the debate over your choice of a girl since I'm way out of touch at 49!

BUT... my concern is that you want to lose so much so fast for this girl. I think you need to lose it for yourself or it will not stay off. The last thing you want to do is drop a lot of weight and then regain it all, do you? You need to rethink your motivation.

How to do it? Exercise, stay away from too many nuts and cheese, make sure you eat enough calories!

Good luck!
Amy