Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 01:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%
Default How to lose inches in the waist

Argh! I've lost 50 pounds low carbing but only 4 inches in my waist. Is there any good exercise to help get those inches flying off? I already do crunches, sit-ups and other ab exercises and run three times a week. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 04:15

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

There is no way to spot reduce your waist. Do you still have fat there? IF so the only way to lose that fat is to reduce your overall body fat percentage. However, maybe you should consider building the rest of your body up with lean muscle mass to make your waist "look" smaller.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 06:09
Registered Member

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 124/122/120 Female 65inches
BF:25/19/15
Progress: 50%

Hi There,

I have found that most ab work makes my waist bigger. The only thing I do now for waist and stomach is ten minutes a day on the rowing machine. This has given me a better waist/stomach shape overall and doesn't widen the waist. It's also good for hips.

Best
Alison
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 06:41
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I miss the rowing machine, but found out that is what bothered my back...I need to find a new thing to do that I will enjoy.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 15:44
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

So many of us are having the problem with not losing in the waistline! The trainer I work with says it took her over a year to have the weight loss show up there. I agree that ab exercises can make it worse. I'm trying Pilates now, on top of cardio and weight lifting, and will let you know if that makes a difference.

If you find an answer, please post it! Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 16:17

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

I'm completely opposite. I've lost 4.5 inches in my waist in two weeks. I do a lot of cardio right now, so I'm losing all over.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 17:14

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaec
I'm completely opposite. I've lost 4.5 inches in my waist in two weeks. I do a lot of cardio right now, so I'm losing all over.
I think that's pretty key to losing fat anyplace. Up that cardio! Yes, muscle burns fat, but it is possible to gain muscle faster than you burn fat, which ends up increasing your measurements (for the short term, anyway).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 10:00

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

i'm also having trouble with my waist... i guess we just have to lose more fat! more cardio, more cardio... and some HIIT

btw, here's a tip, to make your waist look smaller, work out your upper-upper body (your chest, back, shoulders, arms)... it helps to make your waist look smaller (when when you're done losing the fat, you'll look great!)

look at my sig... waist still at 31 or 32 inches (aiming for 28inches) but it's smaller than my chest making it look more proportionate... but uggggh i gotta lose the fat off my face
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 10:05

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

hey i started lowcarbing in august 2003 too! and we have similar stats... but i'm shorter (sniff... now i wonder if there's a diet to make me taller than the 5'7" i stand today lol)

try to lay off the ab exercises first (reduce them)... focus on your other muscle groups

and do HIIT... does wonders on your endurance and burns fat fast!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:38
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Rice_boi, you're cute the way you are, LOL!

But if you really want to get taller, try Pilates. The instructor told me if I was faithful about doing it, I could grow by at least 1/2 inch.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:45
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I've been LC since Nov 2003, I do my stepper 3 days a week as well as crunches, push ups, etc....I've lost 12 inches off my waist, 3 from chest, and 7 from hips.

Lily
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 09:20

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%
Default Fat or excess skin?

I'm wondering when I get down to my ideal weight 165 whether I'll have the 32-34 Waist I had when I use to weigh this? Im 5'11 and started at 245 with a 44 waist. My thought is even if I lose FAT I'll still have excess skin that bulges forming a bigger waistline.

Am I correct?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 09:38

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

My trainer says (I've read this in fitness magazines as well) that the only way to lose inches in the waist and fat from the tummy is to exhaust the largest muscle groups in the body... in the legs! So the more squats/lunges/lower body work you do, the smaller your waist will get.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 11:34

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

Thanks guys. TO start off I think I'm gonna try to do the rower. I'm not gonna lay off the abs cause I still need to work on this spare tire.

Rice-Boy or anyone else: what is HIIT?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 12:11
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training, pretty much a new term for *are you ready?*, sprints. Actually it's doing cardio in a way where you cycle between higher and lower intensities. It doesn't burn fat like low intensity cardio does while you do it, but makes your body burn MUCH more fat for hours and hours AFTER you do it! Here is a place with very good info: http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

As everyone has said, you cannot spot reduce, I have lost almost all fat on the rest of my body and STILL am working very hard at losing my lower gut. For men in general the most "stubborn" fat is the stomach and lower back,i.e. "the spare tire". And if you do ab exercises, that builds up the muscles under the fat and will make your stomach look bigger. That said, I am STILL working very hard on my abs, so that when the fat is gone, I'M GONNA HAVE MY 6 PACK! Beside's nothing wrong with being stronger all over.

I do know of a site where the lady shows ab exercises that are supposed to strengthen your middle, but make it look slimmer. I think it is pilates exercises, though I could be wrong. You can check it out here: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/meriam/