Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 17:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%
Default fabulous CHEESECAKE

I just wanted ya'll to know about this cheesecake, by Adam Matthews.
http://www.adammatthews.com/lowcarb.html

I had it for my brithday, and at the time folks here asked me about it, and I only knew I got it at Kroger. I went back and got another one (for finishing year 2 of law school) and wrote the name down! It was about 15$, and is made with just cream cheese, eggs, sour cream, vegetable shortening, and splenda.

It tastes great to me, but I always liked cheesecake with a bit of a tanginess to it. It's sweet, but not too sweet. It's definitely too rich to pig out on!

So that's my first product review.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 17:25

Plan: Atkins (calories count)
Stats: 204/148/150 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks for the heads up, I will be lokking for this one!

Dena
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:37

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

wow.. only 3 net carbs and no sugar alcohols.. woohoo! Gonna go to kroger and look.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 19:47
Registered Member

Stats: 143/126.6/125 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

I thought this cheesecake was awful - HORRIBLE STRONG Splenda aftertaste. I actually contacted the company, this is the letter I sent (maybe I was wrong and it is just me):

"Hello,

I purchased your low carb cheesecake at Meijer in Okemos, MI last week. I was excited to try something new, at a comparable price to a 'regular' cheesecake. Unfortunately, it failed the taste test.

I was pleased to see that the cheesecake did not have sugar alcohols, but on tasting, the sucralose aftertaste was overwhelming. I use Splenda as my sweetener of choice for many things, but have had difficulty using it in some situations. I don't notice an aftertaste when using Splenda in my coffee, but my attempt to use it as the sweetner for a cream cheese frosting on a carrot cake made the cake inedible. I found the same problem with your cheesecake and was only able to eat 2 bites before throwing that piece (and the rest of the cheesecake) in the garbage. The texture was excellent and the appearance was appealing however.

I applaud you for branching out and offering a low-carb option in addition to your large line of regular desserts, but I suggest considering tweaking the formula. Sugar alcohols are not ideal to use, but a small amount in combination with Splenda might improve the taste. Another option would be to look at using a combo of 'good' sugar alcohols such as erythritol and inulin, which do not cause intestinal effects.

It seems that your low carb cheesecakes are in high demand - just know that low carbers will try most anything once and allow *some* compromise on taste when compared to a regular version. If your sales slow in the future, it may be because customers are not willing to buy this cheesecake a second time. I will continue to look at the label and if I see that the formulation changes in the future, I would be willing to give it another try.

Sincerely,

Beth "
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 19:58

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Where in Kroger are they located? I went and looked today but couldnt find any...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 20:13

Plan: Atkins (calories count)
Stats: 204/148/150 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I went to Kroger AND Meijer and did not find them. Meijer had a smaller (6 serving) size cheesecake that was no sugar added, but it was $10. I came home and made a fresh one myself, Karens NY cheesecake-divine! Please let me know where you found it at your Kroger store, and I would love to her anyone else's opinion of it too, thanks!

Dena
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 13:31

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

I had to ask the lady at the bakery, and she dug it out from behind the regular frozen cheesecakes.

Bonolover--I'm sorry you didn't like it! It does have a unique flavor, and maybe the thing that won me over is the rich texture and cheese/sour cream flavors. I don't crave many sweets, and I don't sweeten my coffee or iced tea, so maybe the lack of regular sweets in my diet makes it taste sweeter to me? I don't know. I'm glad you replied, to give an alternate take on the product!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 17:43
Registered Member

Stats: 143/126.6/125 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

Yeah, I liked everything about for the first 1.5 seconds of the bite, but then the aftertaste kicks in and just ruined it for me...

BTW - I found it in the freezer section at Meijer by the other desserts, ie Sara Lee cheesecakes and such. I was really excited about the price too, it was only $8.99 at my store.