Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 00:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Unhappy Help with energy levels PLEASE....

I have been having some trouble with low energy levels at times. Is there a way to circumvent this without dabbling in carbs ? I know enough sleep is important, but is there anything else y'all can suggest ...

Would more water help ? I have a very unhealthy addiciton to diet vanilla coke (today I had 5 ) ). I also find that I really am not hungry at times so I have a hard time getting enough calories in.

Any suggestions would be VERY welcome !
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 01:28

Plan: Personal
Stats: 225/212/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

How much water do you drink? Drinking lots of water helps so much! I used to have low energy levels too, then upped my water intake to about 4 or 5 liters a day. You don't have to go that high, but a good increase is always healthy!

I also sometimes force myself to eat. Even if you don't have the appetite, you shouldn't go more than 6 hours without a good meal or big snack. It's hard to get used to the idea of eating when you're not hungry, but once you realize how much the extra calories help with the energy, it will all make sense.

Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 01:30

BF:

And how is that Diet Vanilla Coke? I'm really interested in trying it, but I'm afraid of Aspertame causing a stall for me. Have you noticed any sort of stalling from it?

Before I started LC'ing, I was addicted to Vanilla Coke, so I was pretty excited when the diet version came out... does it taste as good?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 01:31

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default Stalling ? OMG, it causes stalling ?NOOOOOOOOO

I will be heartbroken if I find out that DVC causes stalling. OMG - I am ADDICTED to that stuff. Wahhhhhhh....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 01:41

BF:

Well I've heard that Aspertame causes stalling for some people... maybe you're one of the lucky ones! If you haven't noticed any stalling, then keep drinking!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 04:47
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Dehydration can cause you to lose energy. I am currently trying to up my water as well. I am horrible at that! My major problem is coffee. All that caffiene can increase your dehydration, so I really need more water. Not getting enough water is my biggest problem.

The aspartame can cause stalls and there is some suggestion that it can cause other health problems. I would also be kind of concerned about the phosphoric acid in the dark colas-it can deplete the calcium in your system.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/128/120 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I love the Diet Vanilla Coke as long as I drink 64 onces of water I allow myself one, if I want another soda I make myself drink another 32 ounces of water.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:36

Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question exercise

ThininBC,
It may sound counterintuitive, but regular aerobic exercise really does help boost your energy levels and help you sleep better. Maybe up the trips to the gym? Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 10:00

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well, 5 diet drinks aday is a whole lot of aspertame, which Dr. Atkins was totally againist, for several reasons stated in his book.
I also would'nt doubt it is to blame for your low food intake.
Maybe you should start to ween yourself off and see if it makes a difference.

Just a bit of info on Aspartame, Most european countries banned it's use many years ago.

Sorry I can't give you the link but some where, there is a good posting all about it.

Are you taking any Postssium?? I could'nt get through my day with out it

Cheers Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Fri, May-30-03 at 10:01.