Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 13:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default A little encouragement

Hello,
Ok, I have been hanging out here for over a week now. I love that everyoneis so supportive. I think that is really neat.
Here has been my routine since the beginning which was 9 days ago.
Up every morning (except for tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays) at 5:30 a.m. Go to the gym, work out for 20 minutes, home, breakfast, work, lunch, home and supper. Sometimes I have a snack in the evening, like scrambled eggs or something.
I have missed a couple of days where I haven't gone to the gym, but I didn't think that was a big deal.
I am guessing that I weighed around 260 when I started since that is what I have weighed for the last few years effortlessly. So then I weighed myself last saturday and saw that I was at 255.5 which is also why I am guessing that I was around 260. Then today, I weighed myself again, and now I am at 254.
I was just thinking that my weight loss would be a bit more that what I have experienced. Again, I am not sure what I started at, for all I know, it might have been even lower that 260, but higher than 255.
I have absolutely done no cheating. All I have been doing is smelling chocolates here int he office because everyone is an addict when it comes to chocolate. I've been somewhat tempted but not overly so.
So, I just thougt that maybe someone could tellme if the the 1.5 punds weight loss in 4 days is ok, or if it shoul dbe higher.
Oh and all that great, supportive stuff will wash well with me as well
Anyone out there read the Matthew Good book? Just curious.
Thanks,
Inanna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 13:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Hi!

Sounds to me like you are doing fine! Try posting your menu for the senior LCer's to critique! It is tremendously helpful. Also, am finding logging all of the stuff I cram into my mouth on www.fitday.com VERY helpful.
The best of luck to you!

Kim
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ok, I went and registered at Fitday. I saw the ratio thing and it looks like i have more fat intake, then protien, and the carb intake is miniscule.
I will try to keep on top of this and see where it goes. According to the weight goal thing, I have to lose about 2 pounds a week. Does anyone think this is unreasonable? I have no concept of the rate at which one should lose weight. I just figured that I would take no more than a year to lose 100 pounds (I hope).
Does that sound reasonable?
Thanks again,
Inanna
p.s someone took my user name on Fitday!! Really shocked me, didn't think it was very common.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 14:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Hi again!

Losing 2 pounds a week is completely doable. that is just an average mind you. Some weeks you may lose 1, and others you may lose 3. Some...unfortunately...none at all. If you don't have a copy of Dr. atkins New Diet Revolution...GET ONE. I just bought mine online at Barnes & Noble.com. They are having a great sale and it was inexpensive.
The book is KEY to our success!
Good luck!
Kim
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 16:25
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You want to have between 65-70% fat, 20-25% protein and 5% or less in carbs or thereabouts.

You will lose more at the beginning of induction than the rest of the time. After your body gets rid of its excess water, you can expect on good weeks to lose 2 pounds or so. You don't want to lose lean body mass so don't try to hurry it along.

Beth
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 16:32
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Don't judge too quickly.....

I started just where you did, however I tried to stay off the scales at first until after my first two weeks....I like to see losses....now that my loss has slowed down....I weigh the first of each month......gives me something to look forward to!

Keep up the good work....it's all worth it and YES, WE WILL MAKE TO GOAL IF WE STICK TOGETHER!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

When I went on Atkins, several co-workers started the program at about the same time. One guy was dropping pounds very quick. I was discourage because the pounds were slower for me. I called my mom for some support. My mom is an Executive Assistant, not a doctor, but her theory made sense and helped me out. She said...

People who are protein deficient will lose inches before pounds because muscle weighs more than fat.

She also said...

People who crave sugar and sweets have a protein deficiency.

I craved starches and sugar all of the time before Atkins. And you know what, my clothes always get looser before the scale moves. So maybe mom really does know best!

Just a little note... My mom is an avid marathoner. She is 57 years old and looks like she close to my age (which is 37!) She has read almost every health and diet book. She has pretty much been a low carber during most of the past 30 years without ever being on a particular plan. Too bad I was always the rebel and never followed her lead until now.

So, don't worry about the scale. I have lost only 38 lbs in 7 months. I started off as a size 24. I bought a dress last week that was a size 16. My 20's are big on me and the 18's are now getting loose. Who cares what the scale says as long as I feel great and look great too!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:16
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Smile Hooray for your Mom!

Stick with your Mom! Sounds like she has it really going.....also sounds like you have a good thing going...keep it up, we're all rooting for you!

Hey, in the end...don't inches count more?????

Micsing