Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/122/110
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Carbs at night?

What are your thoughts on this? I always have one veggie snack early afternoon but I like to have my second w/ dinner at night (a few hours before bed). Do you think this will hinder my progress? BTW, I'm on induction.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:09

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

So...what would the problem be? I have a midday veggie snack and a large salad at dinner (and have since the beginning of induction) and it hasn't hindered me in any way. Now that I'm past induction, I'm starting to add in even more veggies at the evening meal.

Tricia
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:13

Stats: 125/122/110
BF:
Progress: 20%

I guess I should be more specific: Some people say no carbs ~ night bc you don't burn them (as well?) in your sleep. I guess I'm just being paraniod. I just want to tweak this WOE as best as I can. I'm still in the very beginning phases so I'm trying ot develop good habbits.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:15

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I think your question is valid. I've heard some people say things like, "Get most of your carbs during the day" kind of like the idea of eating a big breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner since your activity level tapers off.

But like Tricia said, I think the majority of us eat a lot of veggies with dinner and don't think it's a hindrance in any way.

I'm curious what the experts may have to say. Since it's not a piece of advice frequently given, I doubt it's an issue for a lot of people in terms of stalls.

Experts?

#5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:40

Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%

Good Q..

When I was into bodybuilding.. way back.. thats one thing my trainer told me not to do.. ingest carbs after 6pm cause it all gets stored as fat.

Ive often wondered if I should do the same while on Atkins. Sometimes I dont get to dinner until 8pm.. thing is Ive never had a problem losing though. If it would help in some way Id change that and make sure I ate earlier.

#6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:52

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there,

I too almost always have a serving of veggies with my dinner; usually, spinach or broccoli.

This explanation isn't exactly scientific or technical, but logically, if you're on a low carbohydrate diet to begin with--and Induction limit of 20 net carbs certainly qualifties as low--there isn't much to fret over if you have a typical serving of veggies during dinner. Just ensure you're not having dinner at 11 pm and sleeping by 11:30 or something along those lines. For instance, a normal person at rest--the RMR (resting metabolic rate) is around 70 - 80 per hour. So, if you, say, have a cup of spinach (about 41 kcals) or a serving of broccoil (about 30 kcals) those carbs--especially since you're on low carb to start the day, will all most likely be used up as fuel before you go to sleep.

Just ensure you don't carb load right before sleeping.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:08
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it's a personal thing. The Eades recommend eating more carbs in the morning b/c your body is less sensitive to insulin first thing. Dr. Atkins' says to space them out evenly over the day. Dr. Bernstein, I heard, increases them as the day goes on (but I haven't read his book so don't quote me on that).

Eating carbs too early sets me up for a day of struggles with reactive-type hunger. So I increase my carbs later in the day with most of my veggies coming at lunch and dinnertime. This works better for me.

I think it's an individual thing. If you aren't having problems, why worry about it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:14
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I eat (within my daily carb limits) until satisfied whatever time... Rules are for diets. This is my way of life.