Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 12:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 211/200.5/165
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default will protein bars mess up my intro ??

Hi all
need some advice on using certain protein bars during Intro.
I stocked up on:
1.Carb Solutions High protein bars by Richardson Lab &
2. Pure Protein, high protein bar by Worldwide Sport Nutritional
Supplements, which are the only 2 available to me in my area.

To 1. the package says 14 g total carbs, but only 2 net carbs
To 2. it says 17 carbs, but only 3 net carbs
The rest supposedly being sugar alcohols, the opinions seem
to be devided on the sugar alcohols.
NOW, when I entered all the data into the hidden carb calculator, those numbers were not 2 and not 3.

Is it just advertisment ? Can I rely on THE 2 or 3
My day is pretty hectic, I want to use the bars as a quick fix when nothing else is available, ( which will happen quite often).
After all, the 2 net carb bar just about makes a meal and keeps me going easy and with no bad concious. I guess what I am trying to say is ....can I trust those 2 or 3 net carbs, since the calculator came up with a larger number? I really do hope so.
Please help !!

flower
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:37
Urban Jungle Denizen

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You DEFINITELY should not have any of that stuff if you are on induction!

The book outlines exactly what you can and can't have, and the best thing is to stick to the program. You will find it the most effective in gearing your body to a new way of eating, and breaking the cycle of craving carbs. It will jump start your metabolism, and you will lose weight.

Even off induction, I don't eat those types of foods myself, but of course lots of people do. I prefer to stick to natural foods that are not going to trigger carb cravings. But in any case - for you - not now. After induction, you can start to add other carbs. I would also recommend adding them in the order Dr. Atkins recommends.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:41
Registered Member

Stats: 160/141/132 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

I would have to agree on that These bars are not real food. Why don't you pack some ham and cheese?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

according to the Atkins web site you can have most bars during induction. You should have them rarely and no more then one shake or bar a day.

Quote:
Can I eat Advantage bars during the Induction phase?

An AtkinsTMAdvantage Barcan serve as either a snack or an occasionalmeal replacement. Feel free to eat them during Induction as long as you continue to lose weight. (We generally recommend no more than one bar or shake a day during the first two weeks of Induction.) But keep in mind that neither the Atkins shakes nor the bars were formulated to be total meal replacements. Atkins does not recommend the use of meal replacements for more than one meal a day; instead, it is important to eat whole, unprocessed foods to learn wholesome eating habits.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:42
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

The sugar alcohols in the bars cause stalling in some people, so you may want to wait until after Induction to snack on them.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Note the as long as

Quote:
Feel free to eat them during Induction as long as you continue to lose weight.

Many people continue induction past the initial 14 days. I'd say no to the first 2 weeks then try them and see after that. I also consider the bars as processed food--the same kind of stuff that can pack on the pounds if eaten regularly. Not to mention sugar alcohols create a stall for many.

Just my 2¢.

ljm
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:08

Stats: 221.5/210.0/150.0
BF:
Progress: 16%

Just my $0.02 - and I'm new - but I've eaten the Atkins Advantage bars every day on induction and lost 5.5 pounds the first week and still losing this week.

In the DANDR book (page 129) I have, he specifically says that "...some controlled food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can't take time for a meal, or need a quick snack."...I'm going by that since he is the founder of the diet.

I have heard lots of people say they caused stalls for them, though, so you might want to keep an eye out for that.