Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 01:09
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question After Induction - Now What?

I have read Atkins New Diet Revolution and know that after Induction it is a gradual increase of 5 carbs per week until one finds their magic number of losing yet eating X amount of carbs.

My question is, and I have not been able to glean this from the book (maybe I skimmed this important part) is from what foods are we allowed to get the carbs from?

Is it simply eating anything and purely counting the carbs? Or are there specific foods we are supposed to include over time.

If this is in the book, please let me know and I will read more thoroughly. If you have some pointers, please let me know as well.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Last edited by Alleine : Sun, Jan-19-03 at 01:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 01:28

Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hello !

Well done on completing the induction!!
The 5g carbs increment is better judged on a weekly basis than daily. Remember to IDEALLY compare your scales at the end of the week rather than daily. (daily should be used to get your weekly average) The weight can irregularly shift from 1 day 2 the next I believe.

After introducing those 5g increment, you can then SEE for yourself when you start stalling and/or gaining weight.

I am not sure which version of the book you have, but mine is the European (I think) version and there is a section in <b>Part Four</b> (How To Do The Diet for Life) called "Moving up the carbohydrate ladder"... This gives you example of 5g increments.
However, I find that there are many more ressources on the web to help you calculate that....
I can try and give you some of those later if you wish...

Éva
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 01:35
Italian Princess

Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile Can we eat anything?

Thanks Eva!

My question is not really about the increase of carbs. It's more about *where* we get the carbs from. Can we eat anything so long as it is within the carb allowance or are there certain foods we can eat only?

Thanks. My bad that I wasn't clearer.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 01:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

By eating from a wider range. These are only a few suggestions.

Vegetables: turnips, rutabaga, spaghetti squash, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, roasted red peppers, onions

Fruit: strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, tomatoes, avocado, kiwi, olives

Nuts and seeds: Macadamia, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds

And the usual salad, salad, salad!

Karen