Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 22:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mod
Stats: 300/285/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb low carb pregnancy

I hear from many sources that once one becomes pregnant, one MUST stop losing weight. I am not willing to do this. I am not currently pregnant, but were I to become pregnant I intend to eat as I do now, except I will up my calcium pills and drink some milk. The way I eat now as a low carber is much closer to a "healthy" diet (whatever that means) than the way I used to eat. The only difference is that healthy eating causes me to lose weight. Is this so wrong? If so why?
Thanks for all the insights!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 07:17
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I think a moderate lc program should be no problem during pregnancy. I was lucky that I had a dietician who designed a lc like program for me (I had told her what carbs do to me) and monitored my weight. Her rationale was to add the "safe" weight gain during pregnancy to my present weight, subtract a min/mod probable loss that could occur during a nine month period and to adjust losses, if heavier, for that expected result. She expected/targeted that most of the weight loss would occur during the first and second trimester. After that we planned to let my weight stabilize at that weight or gain a bit, which would mean I was still losing fat but only fat. My daily starchy carb allowance was the equivilent of 2 breads (which I could use at dinner only...CAD like), 1 lc fruit, and she added 2 low fat milks. Under her direction I lost about 1/2-1 (sometimes a little over) pound a week during the first and second trimesters while getting adequate nutrients and protein. The plan worked perfectly until the last trimester when there was a big blow out between the nutritionist and the O.B. over cutting carbs (the only complaint they had with the eating plan was the level of carbs!!) and previous losing/now maintaining my weight (I guess I blew their graphs all out, lol!!). The nutritionist had to bow out, my carb allowance was upped, addiction came back and I blew up.

Can't think why that wouldn't work for you.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 20:26

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

low carb is FINE.... BUT you really arent supposed to LOSE weight...not by trying to anyway, also, you cannot be in ketosis! other than that of course you can.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/269/200 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Some thoughts:

You should certainly eat enought carbs during pregnancy to avoid ketosis. Healthy carbs of course, such as fruit and veggies and whole grains.

You don't really want to lose weight during pregnancy because any catabolic state, even without ketosis, can possible effect the baby, especially in the first trimester which is so critical. It's probably fine to try to maintain your weight as much as possible.

My OB recommended cutting carbs (only by 10% though) as a way to decrease the risk of gestational diabetes.

The realities of being pregnant may throw all your plans out the window. For example - many women in the 1st trimester can only battle nausea by eating carbs, specifically things like crackers, pretzels and toast. Again, there's no reason why these things can't be whole grains.

Cravings. In my 1st pregnancy I craved french fries, and in my 2nd I craved chocolate chip cookies. I don't think these are the same as carb addiction cravings, but I don't pretend to know where they come from.

You can't help but gain weight in the 3rd trimester. The baby is growing so rapidly, you're getting swollen feet and legs (and face and hands . . .), your blood volume increases by 50%, the placenta is growing and amniotic fluid is increasing, etc. The good news is that most or all of this weight will disappear during delivery and the first few weeks after.

Anyway, pregancy is only 9 months of your life. If you can keep your weight gain between 20 - 25 # overall (most of it in the 3rd trimester), you will be back at your prepregnancy weight in just a few weeks post partum (although your shape will certainly not be the same that quickly). Think of it as a 10 month stall. I've had 2 babies and they're well worth it!