Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 02:04

Plan: atkins plan
Stats: 130/136.4/118.8 Female 165
BF:28,9
Progress: -57%
Default How do I know am I on ketosis?

After 4 weeks of unsuccessful low carb diet I finally get to conclusion that I eat too much protein and not enough fat( what cause weight gain). It’s been 5 days after I am eating more fat. How can I find out am I on ketosis?
And if I am not what to do?
Is it true that if I am close to my perfect weight I should watch out how much I am eating (I am still hungry all the time nearly) Should I eat every time when I feel hungry or try to resist and stick with for example 4 meals a day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 02:45
Registered Member

Plan: High Fat Low Carb
Stats: 180/160/160 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

132 lbs, at 165cm tall, you do not seem overweight at all. The low-carb, high fat diet is a holistic diet. If u r already at a very good weight, it will not make u lose unnecessary weight. Everyone will have a certain amount of body-fat, it's essential for health and life. I don't think u need to lose any weight at all!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 06:00

That thrue. I am certainly not overweight but I don’t feel good with myself right now. I would like to lost a 5 kg and instead of fat & cellulites get more muscle. It must be possible.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 06:50

Plan: VLC
Stats: 168/145/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi Ola. Here you can buy ketostix. They are available in drug stores. You pee on them and they measure the amount of ketones in your urine.

Are you working out at all? That really helps you get more of a toned look.

I am also fairly close to my ideal weight and trying to figure out how to get the last bit off. I would not suggest making yourself go hungry. Do some research, try a few different things and tweak the diet until something works for you. It may help you if you start a journal where you can track what you're eating.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 07:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

I find it helpful to eat an entire meal when I feel hungry, making sure there is plenty of fat and non-starchy vegetables. Also, eating 2-3 eggs per day helps me feel fuller. You might wonder about eating an entire meal every time you are hungry, but after deciding to do this, I usually only eat 2 meals per day. My body is definitely "recomposing" meaning that my weight has not changed in a while but my body looks different, I am losing fat and gaining muscle. This could be going on with you.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 09:09

Since 5 days I am eating more fat meat and adding butter on it. I can’t force myself to eat pork (I hate it!) But I am trying my best with another type of meat. Even after fatty meal I don’t feel like I am really satisfied. But I am going to try figure out whets work for me- resist hunger or eat...
I am training every single day: fast walking 60 min and rowling machine 15 min( before low carb I had more energy then I was training 60 min but I didn’t lose at all)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 09:40

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Low-carb eating, with a substantial amount of fat, and moderate protein, will definitely help with the leaner look.

Your best bet to get the body you want is resistance training--workouts with weights. Rowing is a great overall exercise, as it develops the leg muscles along with shoulders, chest, and core (abdominal and back) while you get a good cardio/endurance workout at the same time.

You might want to consider two or three sessions a week (half-hour or so) using heavy weights on targeted muscle groups: large leg and glute muscles, shoulders, back, and chest, biceps/triceps. I would limit heavy training to every other day. For example, three days cardio, 2-3 days weights.

Best wishes.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-10, 10:54

Hi,
Thank you for the feedback.
So yours advice is to train not everyday but only 5-6 day? I am training on the rowling machine everyday (not very heavy but heavy ) and walking a lot and wondering that maybe to much...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-10, 11:52

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

One rest day a week is a good idea.

Alternating activities for the other days is good, too. At the very least, don't work the same muscle groups heavily on consecutive days. So you can do upper body one day, and lower body the next if you like.

As for cardio, your choice. Personally, a half-hour to forty-five minutes 3-4 days a week is plenty. I like fast walking myself, or walk/run intervals (less time, more intensity).

Best wishes.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 12:41

Thanks for advice!