Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: New High Protein/Atkins
Stats: 173/151/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Are these crispbreads ok to eat?

I found these crispbreads and they are very high in fibre and so I thought they may be ok. However, from an earlier posting someone who thought the high fibre would counteract the high carbs was told that they were not ok to eat and so I thought if I put down the nutritional info someone might advise me.

Bran Crispbread (Scandinavian)
100g (the whole packet)
Energy 233kcal
Protein 14.9g
Carbs 29.0g
sugars 3.3g

Fat 5.3g
saturates 1.0g
sodium 0.4g
fibre (AQAC) 42.1g

I cheated on my diet when I went to visit relatives a week ago and I am now finding it very very difficult to get back into low carb, which is a shame as I was doing fine before my visit. These crispbreads, which taste better than the dietline wafers I had bought, would make a quite good alternative and may just help to get me back on track - the only thing I have difficulty with on this diet ( especially as I do not eat meat and don't like fish very much) is something crunchy and these may help to give my diet that "missing crunch".

thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Fiber has obviously been separated out before the carb #
Atkins did talk about having high fiber crackers during OWL and I thought these were what he meant.
PORTION size if 100g is 29. would 10g or 20g satisfy a single portion need?

Last edited by bevbme : Wed, Apr-07-04 at 13:26.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:09
Registered Member

BF:

I would say that about 1/4 of the packet would be a serving at about 7.25 carbs which is high, I think, for a snack but if part of a meal would probably be ok.
I thought that sometimes I might be able to break them up and add melted butter as a base for a flan/cheesecake type meal.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:40

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I ate crisp bread after finishing induction in place of "bread" and it never hindered my weight loss....as long as (with everything) you don't overdo it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:43
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?

Depending on your carb level in OWL, I'd think there'd be room for them occasionally.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 14:28

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I dunno... what are the ingredience. You need to look at that factor too
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 16:13
Registered Member

BF:

thanks all - should the fibre be taken away as on Atkins and only the sugar count be used - in which case it is only about 3.3 per 100g or has the fibre been taken off leaving 29 carbs per 100g.

This is the thing I am never sure about when you are allowed to deduct fibre. The Atkins bars list lots of carbs and then say there are only 3 (or 2) countable carbs. So is it the same with these type of crispbreads.

I wonder if I should ask on the Atkins forum - are they the only ones who deduct fibre? or do other systems do this?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 16:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Crunchy? In the recipe section someone posted that they melt shredded cheese in teh microwave until it gets orange. Then you take it out and after it cools a minute you can break it up. It tastes just like Cheez Its crackers - too dangerous for me to have around, but for the occasional need for crunch I think this is a better way to go than the flat breads.

PecanPie
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 18:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The fiber has already be subtracted. 42.1g + 3.3 can not equal 29.0g. There are 3.3 g of sugar and 26g of other carbs which have to be counted.

The total carbs is actually 71.1g with 42.1g fiber.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 16:37

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

If they are original swedish crispbread (WASA ?) then they should be ok (1 slice at a time !). Fibre was already deducted. But 1 slice is only 10g (as far as I remember), so it's only 2.9g. If it's original crispbread, then it is basically whole wheat/rye. The grains are broken up, but not pealed or powdered.

If it is the fluffy kind of crisp bread (kind of soft and very bland tasting, not gritty feeling when eating it), the stay well away, as it has been identified as causing cancer (something about the high temperature they make it in)
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 16:55

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Scandinavian food always substact the fiber on the package.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 01:25

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

THey are definitely acceptable if it works out about 8g-10g a cracker. That doesn't neccessarily mean they are acceptable now.

We all lose at different rates, but at your stats 173/161/130 I don't think you could be too far through OWL. So no, I don't think you should be eating crackers enough to justify buying a pack. By the time you are eating ordinary crackers regularly enough to justify buying a whole pack you should be eating a lot of vegies a day, including higher carb vegies like aspargus and tomatoes, and are eating berries or low carb fruit etc, even more low carb dairy like natural yogurt should come first. OWL is a personal experience so you might chose that bearibility of the diet beats nutrition, and thats ok if it helps you stick to it. But if you can stick to the diet without crackers, I would wait.. unless you are further through OWL then I have assumed.