Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 19:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/175/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Exclamation Need help!HURRY!!!!

Okay, let me say first off, I have read the Atkins book, and I have the Atkins journal. I was wondering, will you still lose weight if you simply watch your carbs? I know the induction phase is very specific in what foods you can have. The problem I am having with staying on the diet is that I want certain foods. I know that after the induction phase the cravings lessen and it becomes easier. I don't; however, think I am looking for easy. I want to be able to enjoy the foods I eat while still watching my carbs. For example, I LOVE chocolate. Is it okay to have a low carb bar as long as I stay under 20 carbs a day. Please keep in mind, this is only my fifth day on the plan. I have lost three pounds, and I am not on the induction phase. I have simply bee counting my carbs. I don't, by any means, want the diet to backfire and end up gaining weight. In case it is unclear, here is my question: If I keep my carb count to 20 grams a day, will I lose weight no matter what I eat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 20:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The problem is with the glycemic index. Basically there are differences in carbs. Some rush strait to your blood stream causing a sudden glucose spike, which is followed by a sudden insulin spike. This can lead to weight gain.

The induciton list is important. It has low GI foods to help balance out your blood sugar. And yes the cravings do go away. The fact you are totally unwilling to give up something should be a strong indication of an addiction and that maybe it's time to let it go.

After induction you can slowly add back in other foods, which can include the occasional chocolate treat. Just make your own that are sugar free. You might find if you actually go through a clean induction with no sweets you lose the urge to have it though and can really appriciate it as an occaisonal treat, not a life or death must have.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 20:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The more you cheat, the more you'll want to cheat. Probably eating those simple carbs is that it will induce you to want more. Just stick with Atkins and your cravings will stop eventually.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 20:47
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Using your 20 grams on foods like chocolate will also crowd out the nutritious foods you NEED like veggies... there are some people who can lose while still enjoying sugarfree chocolates from day one, but they are few and far between, just judging from the posts I've seen.

There are other plans than Atkins, and maybe one of them would be a better "fit" for you. On teh righ-hand side of the page, under Quick Links, click on "Which Low-Carb plan is right for me?" for an overview of several other plans.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 21:24

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I don't know if you've read this sentence in the book, but somewhere in there Dr. A said to commit to this way of eating for two weeks. Completely commit. It will be so much easier on you in the long run.

I have an occasional LC chocolate treat, but before I started Atkins, I had chocolate (and not just a Hershey's Kiss) pretty much every single day. I would not be able to restrict myself to once every few weeks to a month if I hadn't done a clean induction. And really, I'm not even restricting myself. I just don't CRAVE it anymore. I still love the taste; I'm not one of those who doesn't like sweet stuff anymore. I just don't NEED it.

Trust me, chocolate is actually more enjoyable when it's a treat, not a fix.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 11:06

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I say if you need some chocolate then eat some, otherwise you'll binge later. Trust me I know. I eat the black forest carb rite bars. There's only 3 total carbs and 2 net carbs in the whole bar (and it's pretty big). They satisfy my craving pretty good. However I would just go out and buy one when you feel the craving, don't buy a whole box of them and keep em in your kitchen. They will start calling your name, begging you to eat em all! Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 11:26
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%

There have been so many modifications to the low carb lifestyle that no one can say for sure that you won't be able to do what you want as far as eating chocolate and keeping the carbs low. Induction definately did not get rid of all my cravings because for me cravings aren't just physical but mental. I will always want a drink at night, that never changed. I do have to say that I wouldn't care if I ever had pasta or bread. See what works for you, try the chocolate if it fits into your carb count but also be prepared for whatever happens or doesn't happen. Someone has a quote in their signature that sayes " nothing tastes as good as thin feels" it does apply but not always!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 13:05

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

You might like to try getting some cocoa powder and making yourself a cup of hot cocoa when the chocolate monster calls. You'll get the kick from the chocolate taste without all those carbs.

You can also use it for making chocolate flavour low carb snacks when you're further down the line.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 13:18

Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

teacher6 you sound like me when I started. Here I am a year later and have not really lost any. I feel better, but haven't really lost. Why? Because I was not mentally and emotionally ready. I found any excuse to have a little piece of this or a little of that. Next thing you know I had the "well screw it, let me have it all" day. I'm just now ready to actually commit. Today is day 2 of no caffeine, no sugar and no artificial sugar. Yesterday was hell. Advil could not stop the headaches and I was so drowsy, but I made it! And just that has pushed me to go through today. I don't have the headaches and feel awake. The big test will be this weekend's party that I'm going to. But I know that I won't drink a drop or take even a bite of cake.
Morale, if there is one:
You don't want to wake up with another year gone and bathing suit season staring you in the face again. 2 weeks of not eating something is not worth it.
I have been using the Dr Phil weight loss book to help get me head straight to succeed in this. I wholeheartedly suggest this to help get you ready for this WOL.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 14:49

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Another possibility - you might want to look at the CAD diet, or talk to the folks on that forum. The requirements are a little different, but you do get a reward meal that allows for both alcohol and dessert. That may fit your lifestyle better than Atkins. It is all about finding the right plan to suit you!