Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down
Progress: 69%
Default pcos w/metformin

I am finally taking metformin (500 mg day so far) after years of saying "I don't want to take a pill every day." Now the weight gain has gotten to such a point that I am saying bring on the meds! I am on day four of metformin and still working to bring my diet to low-carb status. The only side effect I've felt so far is lingering nausea after eating. I can handle it though if it means that my going to the gym 3-5 times a week for 45 min to an hour and a half will finally start producing RESULTS!!
PS: I'm a 30 year old who has been struggling to get a dr to understand pcos for the last 12 years... first two docs didn't even KNOW about it... it has gotten progressively better.. just last week I got an empathetic endocrinologist who say let's cut to the chase and get you on metformin! Excited to see what will happen.

LKPNYC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 14:24
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

Hi LKPNYC

Welcome to the forum. This place is great for information and support

I wish you much success

#3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 14:54
Registered Member

Thanks!! I have already gotten so much encouragement just from reading about what everyone else is going through. For the longest time I thought i was just a 'freak of nature' and the only one going through this.. how my perception has changed!
LKPNYC
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 15:13
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%
Cool

HI!!!!!

Welcome to this Forum it is great.

I am also on Metformin 500mg 3x's a day. There are some side effects but not everybody gets them. The reason your Dr probably gave you 500mg a day is to get you used to it and build you up to more as well as monitor your liver. A lot of women with PCOS have had positive results with glucophage/metformin. I'm just glad I found a Dr. that didn't just say to get on BCP's and lose weight. The main thing to getting the PCOS under control is your way of eating. Low carb is a must for most of us. There are some women who don't have a weight problem and still have PCOS and they benefit from metformin and low carb. Also I am told side effects are minimized when not eating carb laden foods. There is a really great website with a forum similar to this for PCOS. You may or may not know of it it is www.soulcysters.com. Good luck in your journey and know that you are not alone.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 16:15

Plan: M&E
Stats: 265/265/170 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome, LKPNYC! Good luck!

Chris
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 11:00
Registered Member

Checked out soulcysters.. what a great site! thanks! Question for those of you on metformin... how long were you on it before you began to see a change in weight loss? I have only been on it five days and am trying to be patient.. just wondering what the general lag is before it starts kicking in.
Thanks all!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 11:56
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Everyone's different....some people don't even lose weight on it-I've heard of some who complained they gained. I took off 18 lbs in the first month starting it but haven't lost any since. But it really helps the insides. There's a lot more information on it on soulcysters.