Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atk
Stats: 394/341/250 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 37%
Red face Time to Stop

Greetings all,

I must say that the LC WOL is for some people. However, after being on the diet for about a month I honestly do not think it is for me. I feel sick all the time... and light headed...... I did loss weight but I do not want to do it if I am feeling bad. Thanks for all of your support...

S.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 12:24

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Sorry to hear that you feel that way.

I have similar symptoms when I started but I don't have them now. I 'upped' my vitamin B's and felt better.

I followed the Atkins diet, I did a 2 weeks grace period with some carbs to get used to the type of eating I will be doing, then 2 weeks Induction on 20g of Carb a day.

So after the first 4 weeks, I made some slight adjustments on my menu choices and I am ok.

Of course, we all have some slips here and there but so far the support you get from this site is amazing.

I really encourage you to keep this WOE for a while longer. Just do the best you can day by day and next thing you know, 7 weeks later and you lost 15lbs. (well, I did anyway)

Unburdening all my high carb foods was a hurdle also but I will save that story for later.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 12:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Saliena,

Good luck on your journey, wherever it may take you.

It would be good to write down what didn't work for you, so if you try it next time, you might have a better experience.

I think, sugar surges (when eating desserts on a binge) or carb attacks (chips) are a factor in upsetting your stomach. I was just checking the last couple of days in your journal. Could it be that feeling bad is NOT from following the low-carb plan, but for mixing it with sugar and high-carbs on and off? I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, I'm just looking for clues as to what didn't work.

In addition, taking supplements to help with fatigue can help.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 13:21

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Re: Time to Stop

Quote:
Originally posted by Saliena
Greetings all,

I must say that the LC WOL is for some people. However, after being on the diet for about a month I honestly do not think it is for me.S.

Hi Saliena, this thing limited my response to you in the private message so I will just post it here

Maybe you can increase your carbs to say 40g per day and see if you still get results? That way you feel better and are still in the game...

After I reach my goal, I plan on increasing carbs to about 40 per day and continuing that way, I know it will be much slower but I will be happy with a slow weight loss... I just want this 25 pounds off, then I am pretty much happy! So I will increase later as long as it keeps me loosing,, if I start gaining then obviously the 40g limit is too much for me.. and I will adjust accordingly...

This diet is really hard especially for carb junkies like me...I plan on living my life like this armed with the info I have now about food.

And either slow or fast it will make a difference. Patience is a virtue and not one that I have....so it kinda sucks! I dont want you to quit... I REALLY dont want you to quit.. Because a few weeks from now you will be wonderring ( Hmm I wonder how much I would weigh if I would of stayed with it )

I will be your lo-carb buddy and help you.. and you can vent to me :O) And we can cry together about all the goodies passing us by.. hahahah and then when we are at our goals we will both have something to be proud of!!

Please dont give in,

Hugs,
Shannon
Blondie28
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Saliena, congratulations on your weight loss! I didn't feel so well during induction, but once I increased my carb intake to 30-40g (more veggies and a daily portion of fruit only), I feel MUCH better. Perhaps you're still detoxing (especially if you cheated a little?) Exercise helps a lot... I know when you don't feel 100% it's not the first thing you want to do... I still hate my morning ride, but once I'm done with it and cool down, I feel like I climbed Mt. Everest.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 14:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

That’s sad to hear Saliena.

I would feel ill during periods of weight loss too. There were bowel things, headaches, nausea… Think of what your body is going through. It has to learn how to adapt to the new way of eating. All kinds of things are in the process of changing. Are you taking any vitamin supplements?A

Just a few parting words, based on my own experience…

You keep on questioning yourself, wondering why you’re such a failure, wondering if you’re doing the right thing.. Why can’t you do anything good for yourself, why you’re such a fat, useless pig. There is a doughnut around every corner, just waiting for you to eat it. You don’t know if you can give up the weight you’ve been carrying for so long because it has become your friend Always there, always reliable, and it never lets you down. You wake up with it in the morning, and go to bed with it at night.

The cravings are unbearable. You indulge, wondering all the while, why? Why do I do this to myself? You hate yourself for being weak.

All of this is NORMAL!

How do you live through it? This is the perfect opportunity to find “the spirit within”. Take a deep breath, relax, and let the best part of yourself speak. I would say this to myself constantly when I first started. Am I making this decision from the best part of myself, or the worst part? After letting the best part make decisions on a consistent basis, and of course letting my worst self have a bit of fun too, it started to get easier and easier to only listen to the best part.

No, it was not all easy. It was difficult and painful! Physically, mentally and spiritually

Some days I felt possessed by Satan. Especially when I had days when I was out of control. Such are the woes of an addict. For me, it was do or die. I didn’t want to live as an addict any longer. Alcoholics live one day at a time. We’re different! We have to live one choice at a time, because we have to eat.

I went on a six-month binge because I was afraid of letting go of my fat. I came back to low-carb and ate the wrong things to keep my fat with me. I finally made a decision to let it go once and for all. Everyday I work towards being free of all the things that keep me fat. This has been a two-year journey so far, and I will continue on the journey for the rest of my life.

Anyway, if this ranting has been at all helpful, consider it for yourself. I could be way off base. There could be other reasons why it’s not for you.

The human spirit is a remarkable thing. Mountains can be moved with it…

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atk
Stats: 394/341/250 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default blah....

***smile***
Okay... okay... thanks for all of the advise you all... and perhaps I have not been doing this the right way.... I mean the chip and the dessert... yeah not a good thing... but I guess in prespective to what I am use to putting in my body... but still that is not a way to look at it..
Then again I do feel as if this is something I can do... I have been able to do this before... it just gets so overwelming... because I have always been confortable being fat.... it was not until health problems happened that I relized I needed to start loosing weight... I have not had big issues only knee issues... but I am only 26 and I don't want this to become something else...l

Anyway.... I have been comfortable being fat and wonder why I still can not be... perhaps denial... or self pity... but I am am going to stay on the low carb and see what happens trying not to do the "things" I know I want to...

What is odd... is that it is harder to "come out" as a fat person then it is as it was as a lesbian.... I guess I never thought of myself as fat only happy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 14:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's much more acceptance in coming out because the gay community is extremely strong and supportive. When you have doubts, there are a whole lotta people there to support you.

It's harder to come out as a fat person because of the way we view ourselves. Luckily, we are building communities for ourselves too.

Karen