Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 02:40

Plan: atkins 20-30 carbs
Stats: 164/155/125 Female 61
BF:30%/?/?
Progress: 23%
Default started up again... feel SO sick this time

Hi everyone!

Well I'm back since last June at which time a trip to Disney ruined everything for me, or better said I ruined it for myself! Anywho, I started again yesterday and have had a massive headache all day with a flushed face and I'm sweating like never before. Just before I started up again I was eating a huge amount of carbs. I am doing induction the same as last year when I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I'm sure with determination I will stay on this lifestyle for good. I'm just scared because I felt like I was about to faint in the shower. I had 19 carbs today and 20 yesterday.

My only guess is that Im going thru caffeine and carb withdrawl big time!??

Can anyone tell me if these hot flashes, headaches and sleepiness are normal and maybe suggest something, I would so much appreciate it!

Glad to be back and hope to make more new "FRIENDS", I'll be there for you!
Terry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 06:16

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

You have that induction flu...and it may take your body a bit longer to get rid of that carb addiction...especially if you have been really carbing out the last few months. It will get better....hope it passes quickly and make sure you take a good multi-vitamin each day...it will help
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 07:28

Yvonne,

Thanks for answering, thats how I feel to be exact like Ive got the flu. I tossed and turned all night and made several trips to the bathroom.All I could do was sit around in the dark....weird. Still shaky and my head is pounding. Just got on to see if anyone wrote back. I swear, If I got in an hour's sleep it was alot. I'm gonna go back to bed. Not all the water in the world if flushing this feeling out and the exedrin migrane pills are just goin thru me without even making a pit stop. Ha. ha. Well at least I still havent lost my sense of humor over it. I feel like I'm going to puke litterally. Its that headache you get when you've had something bad to eat, you know. The sweats and shakes are bad too. I wont give up. Nothings gonna stop me now.

In situations like this, is it better to start out on 25 carbs or so? or will the whole thing not even kick off like that? How bout if I drink an atkins shake in a can? Will anything in it maybe pick me up a little? Thanks guys! Where would I be without you?

Terry
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 07:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Water, water, and more water! I would stay away from the shakes for now - they can trigger cravings for a lot of people. Just drink plain water! You could actually have a touch of the flu so be careful. I have not heard of having that strong of a reaction to Atkins. It does sound like dehydration possibly.........Orchid
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 07:54

I've been drinking my eight glasses a day. Will I do any harm if I skip breakfast today, or have it a bit later? I just wanna sleep this pain away for a few hours.
Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 09:57

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Caffeine withdrawal can give you killer headaches, as well as the other symptoms.
If you've been really "carbing it up" this is a drastic change for your body.
Hope you feel better.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/170/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

I was miserable for the first couple of weeks on induction and for a couple of days last week when I got back on track after the holidays. Also possible to have "induction flu" and the real flu at the same time, so take care of yourself and have someone check on you if you are alone.

I would not go without food. That will make things worse IMO if it is the induction flu, and do drink the water.

best luck

carole
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:57

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I avoided the Induction Flu by cutting back my carbs from the holidays from 100 to 80 to 60 and so on every few days. I'm now on 40 carbs a day and heading toward 20 grams. I'm already dealing with headaches from thyroid problems so I don't want additional pain in my life right now
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:59
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

The same was for me with the headaches, nausea, dizzy etc... Extra water helped me a lil...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 14:25

Thanks for all your support guys! Youre the best! Sleeping it off helped a lot. I had a big spoonful of cream cheese before getting some rest and it made me feel better. 5 glasses of water so far today. I think its over, thanks GOD!

Thanks again, you're all so nice.

Terry
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 14:48

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

i know this isn't what you were asking but i did look at your fitday. i'm not sure if you fry in corn oil but that is about the worst oil to cook in. MAJOR trans fats. you really only want to fry in oils like coconut oil and butter and olive oil (but not high temps) you can go higher with the sat fats like butter and coconut. trans fats are bad. any oil that is a veg oil that is not "expeller pressed" will be rancid. most all salad dressings unless otherwise specified are loaded with trans fats....hope you feel better. i admire your resove!! K
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:14

Thanks Kay, Yes I know I made a mistake by using the corn oil. Im just used to frying eggs that way but next time I'll use a dab of butter and turn the egg over to make sure its cooked well.

#13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 18:30

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry Candy .. i sound like such a know it all. really do hope you are feeling better. you're like me...i get that flu feeling at first too!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 23:35
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Hi Terry!

Oh YES! That caffeine withdrawal... Arrgh...
I felt like a big bag of horse manure the first 4-5 days of induction due to it. Turned into my own worst nightmare (gil -> hulk ), a menace to society and decided to get some caffeine pills. Which didn't help at all. So I just started with my hot, strong lava again and it felt like someone lifted a thick blanket from my head. Headache gone, bad temper gone. Angels sang and the sun started to shine again.

Have had coffee ever since and it hasn't effected my results one bit.

Hope you feel better soon!

/gil
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 02:55

Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 72%

You will do great! I came back on Atkins in July after having been off of it for a year and gaining over 20 pounds. I have lost it back now and it feels fabulous. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.