Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 00:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.5/151/130
BF:
Progress: 37%
Smile Hey ya'll... Anybody want an update??

I thought I'd email ya'll and give you an update on my weight loss. I found out why I wasn't loosing weight. Tic Tacs. Did you know that one pack of Tic Tacs has 16 grams of carbs? I was having 6 packs a day... That's 96 grams of carbs ... in just the Tic Tacs. Anyways... On to the inches lost...

*~* Inches Lost in 2 weeks *~*

Hips - 1 1/4"

Waist 3 1/2"

Midriff - 3/4"

Total - 5 1/2"

Not as much as I had hoped but it's better than nothing... TTYL!

*~* Felicia *~*
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 08:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations Felicia! And good for you for finding out about the Tic-Tacs.

A slow downward advance is certainly better than gaining or giving up hope!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 09:01

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Wow, 6 packs daily? I'm glad you got off that habit (did you just substitute tictacs for sugar need or was it the breath thing?). If it was the ketone breath thing chlorophyll tablets (not sure on spelling) are great for that.
Keep us posted on your success.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 10:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

6 packs of tic tacs a day?? Oh my goodness! I think I'm getting a contact sugar buzz just reading about it! LOL
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 19:45
Registered Member

Stats: 163.5/151/130
BF:
Progress: 37%
Smile Re: Nsmith4366

It was a sugar thing... I was using the Tic Tacs in place of the sugar I can't have. I've worked out a plan with my aunt (she's also doing the Atkins diet) where I take one pack of Tic Tacs home with me on Saturday and it has to last me til the next Saturday (I'm at her house every weekend.) I'm also taking a natural vitamin that curves the cravings... And boy, does it work! For the 1st time since I started this diet, I don't want sugar. I even helped my dad make an ice cream parfait for my mom and I didn't want it. It was a great feeling. I found some no carb gum (I read the lables over and over again...) that is sweetened with a sugar alcohol instead of sugar. Great for those times when I really want something sweet. Anyways, thanks for listening!

*~* Felicia *~*
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 22:33

Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

Felicia, I'm one of those funny ducks who can gain weight on lc chewing gum. It's not the sugar in it, but the chewing action pouring out saliva and other enzymes. Seems to whet my appetite somehow. I think part of the reason we ended up so big is our need for oral gratification. Keeping anything in our mouth for long periods does not help retrain our bad habits; what happens when we are accustomed to a wad/lozenge/etc always being there, then we run out? Think about it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 05:58

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Thinny, that may be a sort of pavlovian response. Your body is so used to having to send out a rush of insulin when you have sweet foods that it is having a hard time differentiating between sugar and AS's. I think that is a pretty common thing around here. Sometimes I just need something sweet though, all the old comfort foods are now a no-no, what is a girl supposed to do? Life just isn't fair sometimes. Maybe if I indulge and have lobster for supper it would make everything seem better!

Felicia, great job so far...I always kind of wondered if you really meant 6 packs of tictacs or really just 6 tictacs...the sugar there is small but mighty, isn't it? How goes the battle otherwise?

Cheers all!

KC
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 10:48

BF:

Slimchance, I really doubt if it is a Pavlovian response, which is merely training, after all. Up to 1 year of age, I had never once tasted sugar. My mother breastfed me for months, then fed me table foods. My aunts baked and iced a little cake for me, and I had no idea what to do with it. (Their version - I don't remember.)
So they dipped my finger into the icing and put it in my mouth. YUM! That was it. I dove right in. I've had a terrific sweet tooth and been an icing hog ever since. Even have left the cake and ate only the icing! Now to me, that suggests a physiological response at so young an age, because I was completely de-conditioned to sugar. Maybe some of us trained ourselves to eat such hi carb stuff over the years, but what made us initially respond to sweet? That's built-in!
That's why I know I am a carb addict. Regardless of my wishes, my body goes nutz when it tastes sugar, and that's why I don't/can't use a/s or stevia daily. Although I don't think the stevia has as much of an effect. Sandra
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 15:09

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

No sandra, you misunderstand what I meant. I am quite sure that when you first tasted icing you it produced a physiological response related to pleasure (goodness knows it gives me a lot of pleasure until my blood sugar plunges back down ), but what I am referring to is a theory of a pavlovian response in regards to the way our bodies produce insulin after having consumed sugar for years and years.

I will refer you to a thread I came across.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...light=pavlovian

I know that I too am a carb addict, and I have noticed myself that once I have something sweet it leads to further cravings and my body goes haywire. I have read here too that some people are sensitive to AS's because (as I understand it) their bodies recognize the taste of sweet and react as though it were sugar.

Sorry if my message wasn't clear.

Take care,

KC
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 15:33

BF:

S'ok, SlimChance, I do understand what you meant. After being on Atkins for 17 months, I can sit right down among a display of gorgeous cakes, pies, candies, etc., and not even try one. But don't offer me a Sf choice! For a party last Saturday, I made a coconut blender pie with Splenda. At the last minute, I noticed that I had bought sweetened coconut. Darn! Anyhow, made it, warned my diabetic friends of the small amount of sugar in the coconut, and watched it disappear. First time I ever made it, first dessert I have made in ages, and just eating the little excess made me so hungry Sunday that I was in misery. So I made an Lc legal dessert, and was still hungry Mon. However, I'm getting back my equilibrium now, and KNOW that even a tiny bit of sugar , very few carbs, can have bad effects on me. I can eat more carbs as fruit and have less of a reaction. So it's not just the carb count, but the kind of carbs that light my fuse! Sandra