Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 20:21
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 154/154/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default insulin resistence & cost of lo-carb products

Hello,

I am new to this forum but have attempted (again) CAD. I'm 54 and have severe insulin resistance and have been diagnosed as borderline diabetic I tried to do CAD today and my blood sugar dropped about 2:00 p.m. so I felt ill and knew I needed some carbs. Shortly after I ate a raisin, nut and seed mix and felt good afterwards. I had a burger with cheese (made at home with no bun) and a whole can of green beans, around noon. I'm also taking a medical food product prescribed by an MD to treat my condition. It had 15g's of carbs in it for breakfast. I also had 2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon. Has anyone else had blood sugar dips so bad, and if so what can I do? I'm not on diabetic medication as I am only borderline at this time. My mother died of complications from diabetes and it runs in our family.

Also, my second question is, why are the lo carb products so expensive? It seems we are being taken advantage of by the lo carb industry. I paid $25 for a cheesecake. Can you believe I would do that?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon. I named myself grandma because my daughter is pregnant with triplets. This is her first pregnancy, and my first grandchildren!! Love comes in bundles.

Thanks and blessings to all,

Grandma
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 10:15

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Congratulations!! Triplets no less!!

I wish you and your family the very best. Wow............... triplets..............and here I complain about my two kids. (who are six years apart) LOL.

I guess I am not the one to answer your questions regarding the affects this is having on your blood sugar. I wonder if a more evened out approach to regulating your carbs is something to look into. Maybe doing CALP/CAD where two meals are very low carb and then one meal is higher carb isn't enough to regulate your blood sugar. I just don't know............. I am certainly no doctor and everything I have learned can be read from a book.

Why are low carb foods so expensive............. because there is a demand for them and not a lot of choices. Personally I do not buy any "LC Products". Once in a great while I buy a LC chocolate bar when I am in the health food store. But that is it.

Best wishes,
Libby
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 13:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

OMG triplets!!! That's pretty much in a the deep end! Wish her (and you) luck.

I have had reactive hypoglycaemia, am now insulin resistant and borderline diabetic too, and like you it runs in my family.
I also have (had?) severe blood sugar lows.

I can't do CAD, the carbs knock my insulin around too much.

I did Atkins induction (felt a bit ropey, but got the insulin sorted out quickly) and then onto Protein Power, but could have stayed on Atkins. I eat 5 or 6 mini meals a day, rather than 3 big ones.

When my blood sugar drops or I'm hungry I eat, but nothing with any appreciable carbs in - ie I couldn't handle raisins.

I make almond muffins (recipe in kitchen section) and carry these at work - these saved me, especially in induction (not strictly allowed, but hey, I had to survive).
I also carry brazil nuts and fill the work fridge full of chicken drumsticks, eggs and salad. Occasionally I need to eat every half an hour. This only happens rarely these days, though it happened more at the start.

Basically, my blood sugar is now miles more stable than it has been for 20 years.

Oh - and I avoid all caffeine, it also messes my insulin up and gives me hypos.

I don't buy lowcarb food, except Splenda, partly cos of the cost, partly because its rarely available here and partly cos some of it seems to be full of rubbishy 'non-food' anyway. So, I eat quite plainly, apart from the odd recipe from this forum for sweet treats of one sort or another.

Hope some of this is helpful, take care, Jay
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 14:37

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Cograts on being a grandma to triplets, how exciting...

Also, as far as the expensiveness of LC products, supply and demand I suppose. But as far as the $25 cheese cake...here is a much better one. I used an almond crust for this, but it was fabulous...

http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe062.html

Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 19:10
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

You are not supposed to have "fake" sugars or low carb treats at other than your Reward Meal. Carbohydrate Addicts react to "fake" sugars as if they are real, thus the insulin spikes.

It is the two true low carb meals that help regulate your blood sugar and insulin levels.