Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 09:28

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default Half & Half

Time for annoying newbie quesions, ladies!!! Do we have any gentlemen here yet?

Okay, sometimes Dr. S's writing is perplexing. This whole plan is about whole foods, no additives, etc. etc. but then she says we can't use half and half because of all the stuff added to it (or am I opening my big mouth after missing something?). I have organic half and half that is half milk/half cream. It only has one carb per 2 tbsp. That seems much better than using whipping cream to me. Whaddya think? We're only supposed to use such a small amount anyway, this shouldn't be a problem. Am I missing something in my speed reading?

Muchas gracias,
Jinx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 10:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

The reason she gives to not drink 1/2 and 1/2 is because it usually can't be found without additives, so I'm sure it is fine if you can find it without additives.

Go for it!

Pianobeiner
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:13

Default Thanks!

Good. That's what I thought!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jinxybeiner, I find that you can really manipulate the plan when you buy from the HFS.

I know she doesn't allow low fat sour cream or yogurt for the same reason, but my HFS sells it without any additives or sugar. Now, eating it is another story. I have a serious addiction to my 10% fat yogurt.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 13:25

I buy AMAZING fat free yogurt, organic, in great glass jars and wonderful. It only comes in plain and I think only fat free or low fat. I add stevia and frozen raspberries or strawberries (not organic, unfortunately).

yummmmmm
Jinx
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 14:32

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

It's been so long since I've read either book, but I remembered her saying in the first one that we were not to have half and half because it has more carbs because of the milk (adds lactose, which she really is against).

As far as additives, in our Albertson's grocery store, the half and half is just milk and cream, whereas the heavy cream has all sorts of emulsifiers and sweeteners in it. It didn't used to, but it does now.

I buy my cream at the HFS, and of the 4 or 5 brands they have available, only two of them have no additives in the heavy cream. The most common additive is carageenan, which is considered "natural." But it's still an additive and changes the taste and texture of the cream. I love it in my tea (one of the few non-TSP things I allow myself).

Just my 2 cents.

;-Deb
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 15:09
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi DebPenny:

I'm looking on p.278 in SPII where she says not to use half and half b/c it is filled with "other chemicals". But you are right, she also mentions the "lactose issue" so even getting it without chemicals might still be a no-no. She does mention, however, that if you are insulin sensitive with healthy adrenals, you can have small amounts of milk, so if someone who is IS/HA found half & half without additives, I'd have to guess it would be OK for them. Good news for healthy people, I guess.

Interesting what you say about your products in the HFS. Maybe I'm being misleading about my "HFS" bias. HST, I think Canada is a bit more strict, especially when it comes to dairy products. For instance, growth hormones are not allowed in Canadian dairy products. I have yet to see any additives in my HFS dairy products, but there are all kinds of them in the conventional dairy section, mostly in the lower fat products.

Just shows ya, I guess it comes down to the importance of reading labels on ALL products.

Have a great day!

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Jun-05-03 at 18:34.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:03

Thanks Deb and Wanda.

Really, since I kicked the coffee habit (for now it's an iced tea habit), I shouldn't be drinking to much of either half & half or the whipping cream. I do have an ounce every morning in my vanilla Ketoslim shake but that's it.

Now I know she says she hasn't seen any really natural shakes, without too much carbohydrate, no freaky sweeteners or sugar, but I think this one is it. It's from the makers of Spirutein, which I've never had any probs with except, like she says, the carb amount tended to cause me to crash a couple hours after ingestion (could have been the added soy milk). This has NO sucralose so I add stevia, ice, water, an ounce of milk and half a cup of frozen strawberries (YUM!!).

I can't do eggs due to my sensitivity to arachidonic acid, plus it's SO HOT here, this is my solution. AND it is non GMO with 23g protein, 2g carbs, tastes really good. I really hated the chocolate, FYI. I have this every morning, sometimes with a Gimme Lean nonGMO veggie sausage patty (50 cal, 0 fat, 4 carb, 8 protein). I realize that I need to study the book more to know what I should be eating so I'm just doing the best I can right now with the foods I know my body can handle.

Also, my time online is limited, of late, so I'm posting here instead of my journal to keep things moving!! Hope that's ok!

Hugs!
Jinxybein