Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:19
Doctor Dirt

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%
Question Did anyone hear this on the radio this AM?

I was listening to my favorite country station on the way to work this AM, and they came on with the hourly news. Included in the news was a report (not sure from who?) that the food pyramid (from the FDA? USDA?) that we've been seeing all our lives is making America FAT with its reliance on (get this!!) carbohydrates as the main food group.

Well, DUH!!!

I wish I had been listening more closely. Did anyone else hear anything about this?

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 10:53

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking

I have heard similar reports in other places. The trouble is, the food pyramid and the low-fat high-carb concept are very entrenched. A LOT of doctors, etc, would have to admit that they were WRONG and that is totally unacceptable to them!

BUT, progress is being made, in reports like this one! If we all keep speaking out, things will change. For one thing, my local GNC can't keep the Atkins shelves stocked, that's how fast they sell out. So I know there are lots of other satisfiend customers out there...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 11:21
Registered Member

Stats: 323/293/200 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I fully agree. You will start seeing more and more LC products as companies are realizing that this is the next big market. For example, Bryers now has LC ice cream that you can buy (I bought 1/2 gallon on sale for $2 at Pathmark this weekend). You will also see more and more restaurants focusing on LC.

The key for everyone to (politely) let the businesses that you frequent know what you want.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 11:35

Stats: 228/199/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 28%

One of the fellows that I work with recently went to his doctor. The doctor told him that his weight was the lowest that it had ever been since coming to his office and aked what he was doing different. When he told the doctor that he was on Atkins the doctor said that he and his wife were also on Atkins. Hopefully more will come around to this way of thinking.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 16:23
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%

There are four doctors who work in my office as medical consultants who are doing Atkins. That makes me feel even better!