Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 13:20
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Post South Beach Diet Vs. Atkins

This is a link to an article on the CNN web site today. Any opinions?

Link to CNN
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 13:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

I actually went out and bought the SBD book, and got rather bored about 1/2 way through. It really is not a LC diet and the author even says so. as to the article, well, I dont believe half these people even read the books. Atkins does not restrict calories, in fact, if you dont eat enough, you are likely to stall and the same goes for the SBD.
The article goes on to sayBut she added, "You can't expect to lose weight and keep the weight off without moving your body." Well, let me tell you that in my experience,- women, anyway - need to diet to lose weight. I work out 5 days a week (cardio) and 2 - 3 days weight lifting, and still , even LC-ing am having trouble losing weight, thank heavens I dont have to count calories as well- just make sure I get enough!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
These seeming contradictions raise the eyebrows of critics such as Rachel Brandeis, a registered dietitian from the American Dietetic Association.

Does the American Dietetic Association do anything besides provide spokespersons against low-carb diets?

Quote:
"If a diet tells you some foods are good or some foods are bad, that is always an automatic red flag for an extreme diet or a fad diet," Brandeis said.

Unless you're talking about red meat, butter, eggs, etc -- you can say those are bad and should never be eaten, and no one raises an eyebrow. But come out against refined sugar? We don't want to be faddish, do we? Come on, let's be reasonable.

Ever get the feeling that if Dr. Atkins had come out against, say, cocaine in a very public way, people like Rachel Brandeis or Susan Jebb would be hitting the newspapers to talk about the value of nose candy in a balanced weight-loss strategy?

Last edited by Dean4Prez : Thu, Oct-23-03 at 13:53.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 13:55

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanks for the post, Paulie.

Quote:
"If a diet tells you some foods are good or some foods are bad, that is always an automatic red flag for an extreme diet or a fad diet," Brandeis said
OK, so if that's the definition of a fad diet then the food pyramid and all the low-fat gurus are promoting a fad diet. Afterall, they have been telling us that fat, primarily sat-fat, is a bad food for over 30 years.

Other than that, it doesn't really say much, does it. It's rather light-weight and the author doesn't appear to have done any reading of SBD or Atkins. And I would be willing to bet that his pet dietician hasn't read either book either.

I guess I'm starting to become jaundiced by all the poorly rsearched, opinionated editorializing going on in the media. It's so seldom that we see anything with something real to report.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 14:10
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

Most of the media in the UK are really anti-Atkins. It will be interesting to see what they say about this one - if anything.

Last edited by Paulie-M : Thu, Oct-23-03 at 14:21.