Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 173/166/150 Female 5.8" or 1,73 m
BF:
Progress: 30%
Unhappy anybody have the answer????

OK folks,

let's hear it. I've been on the South Beach Diet for 4.5 weeks now, and, after weighing myself today, can say that so far I lost 2 lbs. give or take. After the first week, I had lost 6 lbs., but that didn't stay. I have to admit my water fluctuates like crazy, and I have seen changes of up to 5 lbs. from one day to the next. However, if I am going by my "official" weigh-in day, 1 lb. is what I lost.

Now, I've heard many times that the low carb diet works best for apple-shaped people. Well, I am kind of a pear-shape (if I have to be a fruit....), so my fat is where my thighs, butt, and hips are. I am 5.7" and started off at 172 lbs. with a goal weight of 150 lbs.

I have to admit it's frustrating to hear about everyone around me losing like crazy, and it takes me a month for a single lb. Shouldn't I be losing more?

And I have been sticking to the book, except for on 3 occasions where I had alcohol. But sorry, that just can't be all of it.

I'd appreciate any input/advice any of you may have.

For your information, I have included a typical day for me:

breakfast: Atkins cereal Morning Glory (or Morning Start or whatever, the one w/almonds) and 1/2 a cup of blueberries, 1%milk (I saw the carb count is the same for fat free and 2%, so split the difference haha)

(I am in phase 2 now, which allows for something other than eggs in the morning, which is nice, but some days I'll even have some scrambled because I feel like it)

midmorning snack
low carb yogurt by dannon - tastes a bit funny, but it's edible
or an apple

lunch
usually salad with chicken or half an avocado with shrimp salad
or leftovers from dinner (meat/veggies)

afternoon snack
low fat mozzarella cheese-stick & sometimes an apple
or veggies and hummus or some sour cream dip

dinner
any variety of lean beef, chicken breast or thighs, or any kind of fish and shellfish
salad (lots of it)
and some side veggies, like string beans or snowpeas

dessert
to be honest, I have been trying to not snack after dinner anymore. that's the toughest part, but I don't want it to be a habit anymore. so sometimes I have some cantaloupe, or, when I really want to treat myself - once a week or so - Atkins Endulgence ice cream or one of those Russel Stover chocolates...

I try to drink lots of water, too. I do drink diet soda in the evening, but not insane amounts. I have not been working out a lot lately. I try to play squash at least once a week, and other than that I am waiting for the snow to melt....

So there you have it. Let me know if you find something that could be in the way of my losing MORE THAN ONE LB.!!!!

thanks again in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: Southkins
Stats: 280/252/190 Female 5'9"
BF:Let's/notgo/there
Progress: 31%

I have only been on for a little over a week and I had gained 3 pounds after taking off 5, but this morning I got on the scale and they were gone again. I have not cheated and I can say that my carb cravings are basically gone. I went to the mall tonight and we ate at the food court (I actually was able to find something there that would conform to the diet which was amazing, given it WAS the food court!) and there is a frozen custard place that I just to love and I can say that I had no problem resisting the urge. Actually there WAS no urge to be honest! I don't know how to answer what is happening to you, but I know for me that I have got to A) find a way to drink more water....I have never been a water drinker and I don't care for it unless I am eating something and B)exercise more....as you say, it IS winter. I am in Maryland and it has been miserable here as far as weather and because it HAS been cold, I really don't want to head out! I have had no motivation to go outside and I don't really care for my Nordic Track. I like bike riding and walking. Even though I know you can do both inside, it doesn't mean I want to, because I prefer to participate in my environment when I do those things. They are not appealing to me doing them indoors! Maybe once you are able to incorporate some more exercise in your routine, you may have a little more success. Don't give up!