Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 08:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Low-carbing in Alabama

Hi, my name is Tami. I'm from Birmingham, AL (the "Sthrn" is "southern" without the vowels!)

I found out in September that a third sibling (out of 7) has type-II diabetes. I have my sugar checked annually, and so far I'm OK, but I certainly have a better-than-average chance of developing it, especially since I'm about 100 lbs. overweight.

Also, over the past few months I've developed plantar faciitis, which is heel pain often caused by a sudden increase in weight. I'd like to get my mobility back so that I can exercise and increase my metabolism and weight loss. I hope the diet will help, plus I'm working with a podiatrist and physical therapists.

My weight has yo-yo'd all my life, but quite severely in the past 7 years. About 7 years ago I lost 90 lbs. on a clinical trial for Orlistat/Xenical (although I was on the placebo!). Since then I've gained and lost between 40-60 lbs., each time adding a few extra pounds until ultimately I was about 5 lbs. over my top weight. Obviously I can lose weight. It's keeping it off that's the challenge. At this point, it's so disheartening that the last 20-30 lbs. were the result of diet-phobia. It's hard to diet when you know darned well from experience that it will only come right back.

I started low-carbing in September, and find it satisfying for the most part, but enjoy a glass or two of red wine occasionally which I'm sure is slowing my weight loss. I keep telling myself that this is a way of life, not a diet. I'm even thinking about getting one of those medical alert bracelets saying "Glucose Intolerant", if for no other reason than to remind myself that I'm allergic to carbohydrates! ('cause I break out in fat)

Well, that's my (long) story, and I'm stickin' to it! Let me know if you know of any program/book/doctor that addresses the mental side of weight maintenance. I'll need it if/when I reach goal!

Tami
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 09:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Welcome Tami!!!

I can sure understand your frustrations. I have dieted all my life and yo yoed up and down up and down forever and ever. Like you, I always lose weight and gain it back and then get fatter. It is so &*%$$# hard.

This time, I look at this as a way of life, a permenant change. I am just never gonna be able to eat carbs like a lot of people do. I have really done well with this plan and I find it very easy. I am also not hungry all the blithering time!

I think you will find the forum helpful and inspiring. I find that no problem I bring up or no question I have - gets unanswered. The people here have lots of combined wisdom. I hope you will come visit us in the Triple Digits Club (those of us who have over 100 lbs. to lose). It would be great if you could start a journal so people can stop in and visit you. Cindi
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 10:06

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Tami -

Welcome to the forum! I think you will feel at home here. Like Orchidlady said, it is a great place to get answers to any type of low carb question. It's also good to know that you are not doing this alone, and many of us here have struggled with yo-yo dieting and weight gain through our lives.

As far as a low carb plan, there are so many to choose from. I did SugarBusters for a few weeks - I enjoyed the flexiblity of having more legal carbs (wheat bread, brown rice, some fruit, etc). But I am now on Atkins, and am seeing more results. I think it is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) type of thing, but my system does better with less carbs than being able to have a moderate amount of legal ones.

Good luck with whatever plan you choose!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 10:08
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%
Default Hi

hello and welcome

Your diet struggles in the past sound like mine. This place here is great for support, I also want to change my eating to something permanent this time. Let's do it together

Take care

Mischa