Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 18:20

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Weight-Loss Regimen for Diabetics Questioned

Quote:
Weight-Loss Regimen for Diabetics Questioned

MONDAY, July 12 (HealthDayNews) -- An antidepressant and two weight-loss drugs can help diabetics shed pounds, but doctors are not yet convinced that the combination therapy is worth it, according to a new study.

The antidepressant drug fluoxetine (sold as Prozac) and the weight-loss drugs orlistat (Xenical) and sibutramine (Meridia) all produced weight loss within a year for patients with type 2 diabetes, researchers with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites) said.

However, the weight loss was modest -- 5.7 pounds to 12.7 pounds -- and doctors aren't sure the long-term health benefits are clear.

Both obesity and diabetes are on the rise in the United States, and doctors are looking for ways to combat both.

Obesity in the United States increased from 12 percent in 1991 to 18 percent in 1998, and recent survey data indicate that 65 percent of Americans are overweight.

Diabetes increased 49 percent in the United States during the 1990s, and 8.6 percent of people older than 20 have the disease.

The report appears in the July 12 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine (news - web sites).

"An antidepressant and two weight-loss drugs can help diabetics shed pounds, but doctors are not yet convinced that the combination therapy is worth it, according to a new study."

Load someone up on an antidepressant and TWO diet pills and they wonder if it's worth it!?!?!?!?!

Oh yea....that's so much safer than cutting carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's replace on symptom (obesity) with a bunch of others (sleep disturbances, sexual function problems, heightened risk of suicide in the first few weeks, etc) rather than treat the issue that causes the original symptom! ?!?!?!?!?!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 19:09

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

But of course. You wouldn't want diabetics to be deprived of all the goodness found in hamburger buns and mashed potatoes do you ? That is inconceivable. And what if they get bad breath. Now where would they be??
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 19:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree, CindySue. The one ray of light that I see in this that that doctors are actually questioning it instead of jumping on the bandwagon shouting, "To hell with the consequences and the cost (both financially and physically), let's do it if we can get these folks to drop a few pounds!".
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 05:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

You know, the problem is that there will be some people that will do it rather than cut carbs. I think they are all crazy.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 06:57

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

I don't care how happy you are taking prozac....one bad high fat meal and one big sneeze while on zenical will depress ANYONE.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 10:33

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Prozac would have worked for me to loose weight if I could afford to be asleep 24/7. But life isn't conducive to sleeping 24 hours per day, nor is it healthy. Glad I woke up in time to realize this and started low-carbing.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 11:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Let's replace on symptom (obesity) with a bunch of others (sleep disturbances, sexual function problems, heightened risk of suicide in the first few weeks, etc) rather than treat the issue that causes the original symptom! ?!?!?!?!?!?

...don't forget the diahrrea, bowel incontinence, and poor mineral absorption from the Xenical.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 11:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

How do anit-depressants help people lose weight? Most people I know GAIN weight when they take those.

And please, can we get away from thinking the answer is DRUGS? Why is that good when the drug companies do it, but bad when someone in the ghetto does it?

d*** THE PUSHER MAN...