Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 06:32

Plan: cad
Stats: 257.5/250.5/180
BF:
Progress: 9%
Unhappy water retention

Well, I have been so swollen for the past 2 days. And I can't figure out what is going on. At first I thought it w as the ham from dinner Saturday, but here it is Tues and its not getting better. Last night before I went to bed I felt better and excited to weigh this am. But I am so swollen my hands hurt. I have never had problems before is this normal for this diet? Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 06:52

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

wow Im sorry you are so uncomfortable. I dont really know anything about water retention so I wont give you any advice but wanted to say.. hang in there. It has to go away sometime! arnt there water retention pills or something?

Jaden
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 07:01

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

When I am retaining too much water-TOM iIsometimes take apple cider vinegar tablets and this helps. If this level of discomfort continues I would check with my doc. You cannot be certain that this is due to your WOE and might need to explore other possibilities. Good luck and keep in touch.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 11:56

Plan: cad
Stats: 257.5/250.5/180
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thanks guys for the advice....I am thinking it might be hormones...I haven't had a period forever and that is one of the reasons I am on CAD. I did take 2 midol, just in case I am getting ready to start but I was so pysco this morning!!! If that not it, then I have no idea what is wrong with me. I might need a straight jacket- I am off to take a nap, I want to be in a good mood when my little ones get home...I was not a nice mom this morning. So I hope a nap helps.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 14:15
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

That's not normal on CAD. Usually moving from Atkins to CAD you do have water weight gain due to increased carbs. But not that much. Sounds more like an allergic reaction. Allergies and sensitivities can casue swelling and edema. I would examine you menu for things that you haven't eaten in a while that you might be reacting to.

If it continues and you don't find the culprit I suggest you see your doctor and get checked out.