Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 19:21

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs down In Ketosis But Not Losing!

Alright, I might be jumping the gun a little bit but here's my problem. I've been using ketostix for the last 2 weeks and not one day have a I fallen out of ketosis. But so far I've only lost 2lbs this entire week. I'm eating about 2000 calories each day with 70-80% fat. I exercise 3x/week with 35 minutes of cardio and weight training. I take my vitamins every day with 60mg CO-Q10, 2 caps of essential oils (Atkins) and 300mg st. john's wort. The last 2 days I've been slacking in the water area though. I've only drank about 64 oz of water. But that wouldn't account for my slow loss the rest of the week. It can't just be muscle mass from weight lifting is it? I'm getting grumpy at the scale not moving! Earlier in induction things went so smoothly, now I'm on month 2 of 20-25 carbs with little weight loss. Anything I can do to shake things up a bit? I like this WOE and don't want to change, just wanna modify it so I get the results I want. Obviously I'd prefer not to do anything drastic like the fat fast, but will try it if it means I get that scale moving again and the clothes start to feel looser. Anyone else come across anything like that? What did you do to change things?

~ Cori ~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 19:30

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianin
But so far I've only lost 2lbs this entire week.

Cori, I am the first but will not be the last to tell you, 2 lb. in a week is fantastic! You have unrealistic expectations about weight loss. You will lose a lot of weight during the first two weeks, much of which is water. The rest will come off at its own pace. It's faster for some, slower for others. I am only losing 1 pound every 2 or 3 weeks! But I am losing, and the general trend on my scale is downward, so I don't sweat it. Don't set up arbitrary weight loss goals or you will become discouraged. The weight WILL come off, but weight loss is not linear. You may even gain a pound or two every now and then before returning to a losing mode.

The more I become accustomed to doing Atkins (going on 5 months), the more I am becoming convinced that we should throw out our scales and weigh ourselves only once a month or so. Weight loss trends from day to day, or sometimes even week to week, are not always accurate. Keep up your good eating habits and you will be rewarded in the long haul!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/133/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Congratulations on the weight loss! I agree with Thumbelina. Keep doing what you are doing, because it's working. Save the tricks (fat diet) for when you are in a true stall. Also, keep reading and contributing to this forum. It really helps.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 20:50
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The ketostix are unpredictable as an indicator, really. Have you read the article about them under "low carb tips".(Link at the top of the page in the orange bar)? It's all about Ketones and test strips.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 23:47

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

You could be burning more dietary fat than body fat.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 23:56

BF:

Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. It seems like sometimes nothing moves for a week, the whoosh.. there goes 2 lbs. Why does your body drop a lb or two in a day, then nothing for the next week even though the activity level and nutritional needs have been maintained? Just makes me wonder what's goin' on in there. I guess I assume that if I put the same things in each day, I'll get the same results day after day. I'll stick with it since losing feels soooooo much better than gaining!!!!

~ Cori ~
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 01:30
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Cori,

If you aren't already, measure, I lost inches more than weight after the first weight loss. Also, exericise can break me free of stalls sometimes...but be patient. This is a change in your WOL..not just a diet, if so, then you can afford to be patient for those pounds. i always figure that it took me a long time to put them on, so why should I expect they''lll come off immediately.

Congrats on your weight loss so far!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 07:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

I agree with DaddioM. I bet you have lost inches even if the scale is not moving.
For me, that is what I see first, not really alot of weight loss but inches or 1/2 inches are showing up gone.

NoSunNoFun-
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 08:15

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Throw out the Sticks!!! What a waste. Half the time it measures incorrectly depending on the amount of fluids you take in.
If you are exercising you bet your behind that can slow weightloss down. As the muscles need to repair they will hold water, usually within a month or so they will release it and your body will be used to working out.
2lbs in one week is awesome!! It didn't pack on all at once, so it wont come off all at once!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 09:50

BF:

Well of course now that I post that, this morning I'm down another 2 lbs with my body fat down 1%. Which is definitely awesome! I lowered my calorie count to 1700-1800/day which I think helped. Originally I was eating at least 2000 calories which I think slowed things down. My carbs are now at 20-25 instead of as high as 30. I will definitely have to read that article on ketostix. I'm not interested in how colored they are, as long as there is some change in them to indicate I'm in ketosis. I haven't been measuring, but I think I'm going to pick up a measuring tape today. I've just been going by how clothes have been fitting. I think that my diet just needed a little tweaking. I'm glad things are right on track!

~ Cori ~