Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 07:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default HELP Need Answer Fast!!!!

I came into the office this morning and saw my 'birthday treat' from my co-workers (they'll serve it in about 2 hours). It looks like strawberry shortcake. They know I won't eat the shortcake, but I guess they think the strawberries are alright. They would be, but I would guess they put sugar on them!

My boss brought this, so I can't insult her by refusing to take any. My question is, if I take a small serving of the strawberries and use a fork to just pick up and eat a few of the berry slices, would most of the sugar be in the juice? How bad will this be? (Next year I'll hint that a veggie tray would be a great treat!)

P.S. -- Thanks to all of you for the happy birthday messages! They really brightened my day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 07:16

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

My advice would be to eat some cheese or something with protein or fat in it before partaking in the treats. This will slow the impact of the sugar on your system and you should be okay. Just beware of possible triggers for more sweets later.

Happy birthday and enjoy your day.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 07:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: HELP Need Answer Fast!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by pegm
My boss brought this, so I can't insult her by refusing to take any

It's not a question of insulting her, Peg. They know you don't eat sugar. If you were a diabetic the situation would be a lot different. The cake is there and they will certainly enjoy it, but you shouldn't feel pressured into eating some, if you truly do not want it.

Have a great day, Toots, whatever you do

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 07:47

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Happy Birthday...forget the cake...

If it were me, I would cut the cake and serve it to others if necessary, but I wouldn't feel compelled to eat it if I really didn't want to...

If it's awkward for you, take a small portion and push it around on your plate...get busy talking...too busy to eat...if someone notices, just own up and tell them you're not eating sugar anymore.

Have a great one!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 07:55

BF:

Another co-worker just brought in a tray for me -- it has sliced corned beef spread with cream cheese, olives, and cheese! This is great!

Thanks for your advice. I would never have eaten the cake, I just wondered if anyone knew if the strawberries would have absorbed the sugar, or if most of it would be in the juice (which I think that it probably is) and if I avoid the juice I won't get the sugar.

Strange that they would have thought of strawberries because that's what my oldest daughter is making for my birthday treat tonight -- strawberries and whipped cream (made with Splenda).
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 16:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Happy birthday! How thoughtful for your other co-worker to bring in something that you can eat legally. What we do at our office is have one munchie day every month to celebrate all the birthdays. That way, I can get away without eating any of the high carb goodies and nobody notices because that are all busy stuffing themselves. I always contribute something low carb because there are several other low carbers where I work and that way we all have something to enjoy too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 20:42

BF:

Our department is pretty small -- only 8 of us. Tradition is that on our anniversary date we bring in a treat. It doesn't matter what I bring -- if it's something I don't eat, no one really cares because I brought it and no one's feelings are hurt.

For birthdays, however, someone brings in a treat for the birthday person -- we take turns. Again, if I bring in a cake (I used to do cake decorating, so I usually decorate a cake to bring when it's my turn), it does not matter if I don't eat it. But at times like today, my boss was really trying to bring something I could eat, she just does not understand what low carb is all about, and this was my first birthday that I was doing low carb. She knew that I would not eat the shortcake, but really believed that I could eat the strawberries, and she brought Cool Whip and ice cream, not understanding that I would not eat any of it. After she tried so hard to come up with what she thought was a good compromise because she thought that I could eat the strawberries and ice cream and everyone else would just add the shortcake, it was not the right time to tell her that I would not eat it. I just took a small scoop of the strawberries, using a fork to avoid the sugar laden juice.

A co-worker commented when I said that I couldn't eat the ice cream because of the sugar "Oh, it's your birthday! Can't you have it just once?" I told her, which is the truth, that the ice cream does not really appeal to me -- I have never been an ice cream fan. I am perfectly content with just the strawberries -- they are what I liked best anyway.

They all feel so sorry for me if they are eating something I don't. I keep trying to get them to understand that it does not bother me in the least if everyone else is scarfing down donuts, cakes, etc. Most of it really does not appeal to me. I've even made comments such as 'It's only food'. And I've said things like "When people say things like 'you can eat this when you're off your diet', they don't get it -- there is no such thing as 'you're off your diet' - this is a way of life, not a diet." But I guess none of it really sinks in.

The roll-ups were very good! I'll have to keep them in mind for parties, etc. She took deli slice corned beef, spread it with softened cream cheese, topped it with a small spear of dill pickle, and rolled it up. She arranged them on a tray with cubes of cheese and black olives. It way excellent!