Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 06:55

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Default Back to the Plan

Hi everyone: Last week I decided to go off the Atkins Plan because I was concerned about hair loss and irregular menstral cycles. I didn't go crazy, just introduced fruit and shakes, but got my carbs up to around 140 or so. It has been one week and I feel like hell. I'm so tired at the end of the day, I feel bloated and generally not healthy. This morning I decided that I'm going back on the plan, I never felt better before and I know that the hair loss and irregular cycles will pass. I'm glad to be back.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 13:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Glad you are back! Hope to hear more from you.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176.5/170/154 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Question question for you

how much did the scale jump in one week alone? I know alot of it is water weight, but still I am curious to see what this can do with the numbers
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 20:46

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

"Hair loss" and irregular cycles usually fix themselves if you stay on the plan. Hair loss comes about 3 - 4 months after a quick wieght loss. Cycles usually get back in order by the second month. How long have you been doing LC?

I'm sorry tht you are feeling bad but you have taught yourself one of the best things about eating LC - you feel so much better. And you probably didn't even know that you hadn't been feeling well.

Hope all goes well for you now.

#5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 12:08

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I've never heard about the hair loss thing...man...mine is growing like crazy...and it looks so healthy...the last few days I have had so many comments on it....Or maybe these people are noticing a change, but not really sure what it is yet, so they are assuming it's my hair...lol...ya....I like that....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 06:47

bearbear:

My scale jumped to 172, I know a lot was water gain, but my stomach bloated so much nothing wood fit. After being back at it now for over a week, I'm down to 168 and my shorts fit me again. I'm looking so forward to losing again.

tofi: I've been LCing since January, but by March I was slowly slipping off the plan, now I'm back at it 100%.

lilwannabe: My hair is still coming out - I went to the hairdressers on the weekend to get a trim and my hairdresser assured me that there isn't a lot to worry about, and that most people "shed" in the summer anyway.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 06:58
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 220/220/165 Female 5'4"
BF:

I recently went off Atkins, too, because I was frustrated by almost 2 months of no weight loss. I figured I would give myself a "break" for a few days, eat some of the foods I had missed the most, then have renewed motivation to be strict about carb intake and increase my exercise. Today is my first day back on Induction -- it will be interesting to see whether I go through the same symptoms I did when I first started back in March.

Someone asked how much the scale jumped -- for me it was 7 lbs in only 5 days off the program!! That was so scary to see that number on the scale that I hadn't seen in months!! (194 !) I'm sure most of it's water, because I'm feeling very bloated and PMS-y.

It WAS fun to eat some things I'd missed (Indian food, ice cream, potato chips, nachos, oranges!), but I certainly didn't enjoy that food-coma feeling that follows eating a lot of carbs. I'm a low-carb convert for life!

day
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 07:09

I love the term "food coma", that's exactly what it is. After induction you can certainly have Indian food - I love the stuff too. I make a chicken curry with whipping cream (no rice though) and veggie curries are allowed too. I hope you don't feel back going through induction again, I don't think you should, I feel amazingly good, but I didn't go back to a breads, pastas, sugars, etc., I just upped my carbs with fruit and shakes, so I didn't get hit too badly. Good luck