Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 20:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 197/190/120
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Starting tomorrow with the low carbing

So tomorrow is my first day of low carbing. I need advice on how to start out because I have no clue what would be best to do. I generally eat pretty low calorie and am wondering where I should target my caloric intake.

Also what type of exercise is best? I generally do sit ups, runing and weight training 3 times a week.

Also what supplements are best for low carbing and anyone know where I can get ketostix?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 21:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

I found ketostix at Walmart but they are a waste of money....a lot of people will tell you that.

20 min of walking per day and work up from there in between what you are doing already (course that is if you think you can handle it and want variety!)

and do not count calories!!! Counting calories will be your demise. You need to consume 10x your body weight. Stick to 20 carbs, which includes 2-3 cups veggies and you will be fine.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 21:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/193/140 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Please, read the book

if you haven't already! The book tells you which supplement to take and what foods. This wol is not about cutting calories at all; it's about changing your metabolism.

Check out the Atkins website as well. I believe it's atkinscenter.com.

And drink you water. Lots and lots of water!!!!

Welcome aboard, btw. You came to the right place for encouragement and support.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 21:24

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

You REALLY do need to read a book to get a good grasp of the principles. I didn't read it the first time I tried low-carbing, and I ended up gaining weight!

Three years later, I read Dr. Atkins' book, and I've lost weight so easily, I could kick myself for waiting so long and for doing it so wrong the first time.

Try the website www.atkinscenter.com. It gives a good outline of what to eat/what to avoid in the first two weeks.

You may have less energy to work out in the first few weeks - almost everyone I know who exercises on a low-carb diet does, at least until more carbs are added back in.

Good luck!