Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:09

Plan: I just look at all nuitritional labels of everything I eat to reduce carbs
Stats: 153/150/130 Female 5'8"
BF:36%
Progress:
Default Hi, Karen. I'm new. I had some questions and some info

I just discovered your site after surfing the net. I've heard of the low-carb diet before and didn't really take it seriously. I figured ANYBODY who overloads calories and has an inactive life-style will gain, whereas ANYBODY who stays active and reduces calories can LOSE weight.

However, in my unsuccessful attempt to lose weight, I examined my calorie intake. I noticed it's not that much for my size. I don't take in that much fat. I'm unable to DRIVE for 18 months, and have been FORCED to walk and ride a bicycle since I do NOT ask for rides nor take cabs unless it's absolutely necessary. So, one would only think I'd lose weight. But I can't. I DID, however, notice that my kitchen is STOCK-PILED with RICE and PASTA with MEGA-CARBS. I've also come to the conclusion that I am very much a CARB ADDICT. WHen I STUFF MYSELF and have food cravings, there seems to be NO LIMIT to the carbs I can shove down. I DON'T think it's calories. I DON"t think it's FAT. I DON'T think it's INACTIVITY. BUT an EXCELLENT explanation COULD BE CARBS!!!

I notice somebody saying that with the low-carb diet somebody must eat MORE FAT. That sounds odd. What I would assume is that fat is NOT GOOD for anybody and nobody should FORCE themselves to eat more fat than their body can take. BUT with LOW CARBS, maybe you don't HAVE to WORRY about fats.

ALso, in my situation, I THOUGHT I did the right thing, STOCK-PILING my kitchen full of food for 18 months. BUT, unfortunately, from doing so, I've discovered that I've gotten a "carb factory" going on here. I don't want to waste food and can't afford to replace what I have. BUT, I wondered what YOUR ADVICE would be with RICE when I have it piling up in my kitchen. I had NO IDEA that RICE was SO INCREDIBLY HIGH in CARBS until I read the LABEL. I knew that BREAD and PASTA had high carbs. But I have TONS of RICE and PASTA NOODLES to use up. I'll never get any more rice again. BUT, in the meantime, what do you suggest?

What I wondered is WHAT IS the DAILY CARB COUNT someone should have in order to lose weight? ALSO, if RICE has, say 40-some carbs, can I expect to NEVER LOSE my fat belly UNTIL I STOP eating rice....even though I only have ONE SERVING of it a day...in order to GET RID of it....when everything else I eat for the day is about 10 carbs?

I just wondered about that. I hear so much about carbs. But I never hear what the "acceptable daily numbers" are.

Can you help me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

over on the right side of the page under quick links look at which low-carb plan is right for me. That will list the different plans, and give you an overview of how they work.

Atkinscenter.com is also a very good place to go for information.

Once you've looked at the links you can go to your library and check out a book and look it over. You can also peruse through people's journals here for an idea of what they are doing and how they are doing.

Atkins will start you at 20 grams coming from vegetables, eggs, cheeses.

Protein Power will start you at more like 30 carbs and allows such things as berries and cottage cheese from the beginning.

Check out these sources to help you better understand and then it'll make more sense to you.

Hope this helps.

Debi
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 19:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi JSinMaine,

The actual founder is Tamarian and along with Doreen T we share the title of Founder. I'm damn proud of it!

I think the best way of getting to an actual commitment is to get a book on the subject. Protein Power does the best job of explaining how it works and Debi has pointed out that there are other plans. All will give you all the guidelines you need to be successful.

Quote:
But I have TONS of RICE and PASTA NOODLES to use up. I'll never . any more rice again. BUT, in the meantime, what do you suggest?
I think it's better to make a clean break and give it all to a Food Bank, a charity, or neighbors who will eat it. When it comes to money or health, I would choose health.

The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet allows one meal per day that is a balance of salad, vegetables, protein and a carbohydrate food all eaten within one hour. It's a little more complex than that, so you may want to check that and Protein Power out of the library. The problem with a meal like this is some people can't stop at one serving of carb food. If you can stop, then you'll probably do OK with the plan.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Fri, Feb-20-04 at 01:13.