Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 07:46

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile Starting Exercise!

Happy Friday Everyone!

Well I've managed to lose my first 10 lbs! YAY for me!! It took me 25 days of following induction. I originally decided after the first 10 lbs I'd start getting some exercise in. I'm just going to go to the little work out room where I live and start with the bike and get into the stair master and eventually into the weights they have there. Oh yeah I also have an ab roller at home I'll use.

I just have a few questions about it though - should I eat breakfast before I work out or just have a couple pieces of cheese and go for it? Also, should I up my calories and or carb intake? Ummm....I think that's all I had. I'm open to suggestions too! Thanks everyone! Have a great Friday!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 08:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300+/???/175 Female 68 inch
BF:more/than/enough
Progress: 7%
Smile way to go

Way to go Fireball, congrats on the ten pound loss, and the determination to carry out your decision to exercise...be really proud of yourself

As for eating before or after exercise, from personal experience and reading about others experiences...it is a personal thing, no pun intended. Just depends on how your body feels, some days I can eat before exercise, other days I get really nauseated when I eat, even just cheese, and then exercise...maybe a hormone thingie I don't know.

Just remember to drink plenty of water and go slow and easy if you haven't done anything like this in a while. Probably warming up with some stretching would keep you from getting too sore and cool down with the some more stretching.

Keep up the great work and post how the exercise is coming.

Debra
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:09

Stats: 247.5/226/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 18%

Congratulations on hitting your mini goal. I have to agree with Debra. Some days I need to eat b4 I work out and some days I don't. Just listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs. Let us know how you are doing! = )
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 10:23
Registered Member

Stats: 326/308/190 Male 6'
BF:51%/?%/15%
Progress: 13%

In relation to losing weight the absolute best time to do Cardio is first thing in the morning with no breakfast. This is called a fasting cardio workout as you have not eaten since the previous day, sometimes up to 12 hours fasting. This leaves your body somewhat depleted of the usual energy stores and it has only fat to attack. You can read more about this in the stickies in the general exercise forum.

I have been doing this for ~3 weeks. I get up at 5:00AM, throw on some sweats, grab an umbrella (it is the Seattle area you know) and head out the door to walk for an hour.

After my walk I shower and get ready, having my breakfast about 20-30 minutes after my walk.

Seems to work for me and I am energized the rest of the day.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 11:25
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Congrats on your loss! That is great.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 11:33
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Congratulations on doing so well!

I'd say listen to your body in terms of your calories and carb intake. One thing I have noticed is that whenever I increase my exercise too fast, my body gets hungrier to compensate and it actually stalls my weight loss. I think it is easy for us to over-estimate the number of calories we burn exercising and eat too much to compensate. You'll have to figure out the right levels for your own body.

Why don't you consider joining us in the Fourth TDC Fitness Challenge? The thread is in the Countdown, Buddies, and Challenges sectin of the forum.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 12:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I have to eat before exercising because I'm diabetic and my blood sugar drops too low if I don't. I have never had to increase carbs and this was something I was worried about. I still have enough energy to finish my workout and it keeps my blood sugars levels. Everyone is different and will respond differently. It's a matter of trial and error I think! Good luck on your new exercise program!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 12:49

Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

My routine is somewhat like NotMyself. I don't eat before my workout because it's disgustingly early and I want to burn as much fat as possible. As long as I eat a good dinner the night before, I have no problem getting through 30-40 mins of cardio. I drink a lot of water before and during cardio and eat breakfast when I get home from the gym. I haven't upped my overall carb intake and have been losing pretty steadily (20 lbs in first 5 wks). Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 13:26

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks Everyone!!

My plan is to drop DD off at school and do some stationary bike and or stair master for about 30 minutes (if I can last that long at first!!) and head home to get ready for work and have breaky. Fortunately I work out of my home so I have some flexibility. I'm really hoping working out will give me that extra kick to lose more #'s and inches!!

Thanks again!