Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 02:00

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default I am looking for a book by John Yudkin

Years ago, there was a book called'This slimming business' written by a man called John Yudkin. He was an early pioneer of Low carbs, and a campaigner against sugar. I think he wrote a book called 'Pure White and Deadly.'!
I remember my Dad losing weight with this. It is a simplified system of LC. I would really like to see it again, to see how it compares. Anyone ever seen it? I have tried Amazon out of print etc, no luck. I guess people don't hang on to old diet books!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 05:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I couldn't find that particular one, but here are some that I found:

http://half.ebay.com/search/search....ery=yudkin+john
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 06:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Used to have a copy - have move house (and lots of other things!) several times since then. Will have a hunt around to see. I guess second hand books shops are the other possibility if you have any good ones round you.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 10:39

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up John Yudkin the inspiration behind Atkins

Hi Lucy

I have not seen the book in question, but what I do remember that Atkins attributes his initial interest in looking at the low carb way of life to work by Yudkin and the reference given in his book is Yudkin, J and Carey, M "The treatment of obesity by the 'high-fat' diet. The inevitability of calories" published 1960 in the Lancet 2, pages 939 -941. You may get this at a really good reference library.

Although, now deceased, my uncle knew him through his work at Rank, Hovis, Mcdougalls foods and he said that when he came and had dinner he always used to take the breading off the chicken kiev or whatever. So shows he lived that sort of life himself.

Good luck with the hunt for his book, I expect you will have a long haul around second hand bookshops.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 14:44

BF:

Thank you. It was interesting hearing about his own dietary habits! He was featured on a recent TV programme about the power of the sugar industry. They seemed to be saying 'This old eccentric with a bee in his bonnet about sugar was right after all.'

I do wander into second hand bookshops, but no luck. I think people throw away books like that. Any way I will keep onlooking..and avoiding carbs.
I have never felt so well and the weight comes off. So it can't be bad.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 06:59

BF:

Hurrah. I've got it! Via Bookfinders on the web.

It is interesting. He suggests Units of carbohydrate, 5g, rather than counting every gram. So an apple is 2 and a slice of bread is 3. This way it is simpler to remember etc. Since we are all inclined to underestimate what we eat, he says start with 15 units (45g) a day and keep dropping your total until you start losing. This covers those who are resistant and those who 'forget' foods they have eaten.

It is simpler and used to be effective in the days when I was younger and it was all easier.

However, I am still losing with what I am doing and still feeling well.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 07:03

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up So you found it!

Well done Lucy, persistence reaps its rewards.

Interesting concept, with levels similar to most plans. Glad you are loosing on your own plan.

Have a good weekend.