Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/189/145 Male 5'3
BF:not sure
Progress: 19%
Smile Atkins is a way of life

Hi all,

Yesterday, I was walking to a vending machine with a student from my class. I got a diet soda, and he got some Fritos. He said, "Aren't you going to get anything to eat?" I said, well they don't sell anything low carb in there. He said, "Man, so you can't eat any good stuff? I feel sorry for you."
I'm really happy he said that because it got me thinking.........
No, I can't have any of the high-carb foods anymore. I chose this way of life for good. The old way of eating WAS NOT WORKING!
If I start eating that way again, I will end up right back to where I started-ashamed to take off my shirt to swim, always the fat guy-of course most of my family is at a normal weight, clothes too tight, feel bad about things that happen in the bedroom with no clothes on, etc.
I guess my point is that, yes, there have to be sacrifices while heading towards a goal.
There really is no other choice for me now. This is it. I'm going to lose this weight, get back to looking normal, and not look back.
If I feel like cheating (I mean REALLY cheating-like eating a whole bag of potato chips or something-not like a teeny line of syrup I like to have on my sausages in the morning), I will think of all the bad things that WILL happen again if I have "just this one little thing."
All I know is thinking of the pain of being overweight keeps me eating the right way.
Thanks for reading and giving your support everyone. This is absolutely the best website for support I've ever been on.

Jimbo I
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:15
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Thumbs up Greta Attitude!

Hi Jimbo:

I really like your attitude! It was funny that I just read your post. A few seconds a go my three year old son came in to the computer and said "Dad, I want some "shiteos" (at least that's what it sounded like he was saying). So I went in the cupboard and pulled out the box of Cherrios and said, these? "No, shiteos." Then I pulled out a bag of Frito corn chips and said, "these? You want Fritos?" "No Dad, shiteos." Then I pulled out a bag of Doritos and said, "You want Doritos?" No Dad, SHITEOS!" Then I found some Cheetos and he said, "Yeh Shiteos!" Now he is sitting here eating them beside me (wife would kill me if she knew I was letting him eat them in the living room, but what the hell).
Point of my story is, I literally went through every single high-carb snack in the cupboard and never once did it occur to me to eat even one chip, frito, dorito, etc. Avoiding those is a way of life for me, as you said. Ten weeks now and going strong. It gets easier. Mike
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:22

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I don't know, I don't find it to be so much of a sacrifice when I'm eating things I wasn't allowed on my low fat diet...like REAL salad dressing, and a nice steak, and hot wings, and green beans with garlic and butter.
What he meant was, you can't eat junk any more. And that's not so much of a sacrifice.
Good for you!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:42

Stats: 260/211/180 Male 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Compared to what I can eat more of now...I think I can live without the high carb food
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:47

Stats: 225/192.5/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

My FIL is one of those people...thinking that not being able to eat whatever you want is not good. His way of trying to lose weight is to just not eat. He eats basically one meal a day (usually lunch) and then eats bread when he gets hungry at night. OMG the carbs! LOL

I don't miss eating the old way. I love that dinner is a nice meatloaf with stringbeans or a salad. Salmon with butter, dill and garlic with a nice veggie on the side. I've never ate more healthy in my entire life.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 17:21

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I remind myself and concerned friends and family that I can eat anything I want, but I am choosing not to eat certain foods because I feel and look and AM much better when I don't eat them. Telling myself that I CAN have that bread if I want it,(of course I'll suffer the consequences if I do) helps me say no to it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 18:09

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

MHO: I think it takes time to undo the years of thinking that dieting=depriving. I don't fee deprived on this WOE. Best of all, I don't feel hungry all the time. If you can get rid of the idea that you are on a "diet" and think of it as "my way of eating" has changed, it makes a difference. Then instead of "depriving" yourself of eating chips, you are simply choosing not to eat them.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 21:05

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Like you FromVA, I do not feel hungry. I also do not suffer from weakness and lethargy that I get from eating too many carbs and a sudden spike in insulin.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 21:24

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

I really love the way I eat now and to be in control of the food...flowerpower!!!!