Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:24

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%
Unhappy starting diet and TOM?

Ok Has anyone else experienced this? I started induction two weeks later I started my period, one week before I was suppose to even though I am on birth control to regulate it. I kept bleeding into me normal TOM, then as I started the next month the pills I was taking made me sick ( strange since I have taken them for over 2 years) so I stopped after 2 days and started bleeding again. So I am back on the pills(dealing with the stomach aches) hoping I will stop bleeding soon..

I know Its a growdy subject..but did starting the diet make anyone else start bleeding? just curious...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:28

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

It can have interesting effects and YMMV (your mileage may vary) but the way I understand it is this. YOur body store estrogen in fat. When you start releasing the fat, you also release estrogen and that can have very different effects on different people. Check with your ob if this continues...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:23

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

It has caused me a great deal of trouble along those lines. I stopped taking the pill and I think slowly things are getting more normal. But from what I've read, this is not uncommon. Frustrating isn't it?

Squid
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/194/140 Female 5'6
BF:Lose 50 in 2004
Progress: 46%

You are not alone! I switched from my pill brand that I'd taken for 10 years with no problems, because my gynecologist thought my irregular periods might have been because of hormone changes as I've aged. Instead, despite a new pill which is frequently prescribed in my situation, I'm still have irregular periods. It does seem to be related to low carbing. If it is the low carbing, yikes - not a small side-effect to have....as I'm worried about the pill's ongoing or overall effectiveness...let alone the extra periods!

Last edited by TAK : Mon, Feb-16-04 at 19:30.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:45

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the replies...It makes me feel better to know this is not just happening to me!!
I guess after years of carb addiction and then you shake up your body its bound to affect every part of you!! hehe oh well I would say its still worth it!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 11:54

Plan: Low Cal/Fat
Stats: 229/175/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Last week I started bleeding and I had a couple of pills left, and my period wasn't scheduled for another week, so naturally, I started worrying. I was going to call my doctor the next day and after reading up on it on this site it was actually a relief to find out that I must be doing something right if I have irregular bleeding, even if it is irritating all to hell.