Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 17:02
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sugary cravings after salty eating?

Am I the only one who, after eating a meal of meat and veggies, even though I am full, craves a sweet to 'balance' it out? After dinner for instance, I have a strong sugar craving- like the salt overload or whatever brings on this off balance feeling.

Just me...?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/241/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:Above Avg.
Progress: 28%

Funny you should say that. I was never a Sweet's person or a sweet person before LC. The only time I can remember "craving" sweets is after a "Super Sized" value meal from some fast food joint. It could possibly be the 3 1/2 lbs of fries that come with the SS meals. They have a lot of salt, so that might actually be what caused the sweet tooth.

Now, I'm always having a sweet tooth. I've been subjecting myself to frankenfood treats, but had to stop those to see if it will eleviate my stall. But my sweet tooth is very exagerated now. Wonder what the coorelation is????? This will be an intersting thread.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 06:44

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Fakes?

I get more sugar cravings if I'm drinking diet drinks with a meal. Had to give them up.

Also found that supplementing with l-glutamine helps me "end" dinner, as does being careful to finish eating within 60 minutes of the first bite. Going long with dinner will make me crave more.

bubbly water helps kill an urge for something sweet, too.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 09:29

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

I have the same problem. I've been grabbing a handful of peanuts or almonds afterwards. That seems to help. I'm not sure that's a good way to nix the craving or not. I do know that I have to get away from the artificial sweeteners, though. Doctor's orders - - he says the "taste" of sweet causes a release of insulin and then I end up getting low blood sugar since there's no "blood sugar" to begin with. He was very firm in this.

This may not work for me (as I am no success story yet) but I think I'm going to try eating a small amount of berries, melon or other fruit to see if that helps. I'll have to be more firm with my carbs the rest of the day to do this, and I'll have to stop with just a *little bit* of the fruit, but I have this urge to eat more *real* foods, rather than the frankenfoods, to curb my cravings and therefore the Splenda HAS to go. I do know that in the past when I've cut-out sugar (and didn't use artificial stuff), I eventually got over the cravings, so this is my hope now!

Good thread, here!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 16:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

Yep, it's exactly the same thing here! If I eat something salty, I want something sweet to balance it out. Add to that the fact that I've always had a sweet tooth, and have always satisfied that urge to have something sweet after something salty. I found that having a measured portion (1/4 cup to 1/2 cup) of sliced strawberries with cool whip satisfied my sweet tooth. I also indulge VERY occasionally in a frankenfood. (Namely, ice cream!)
But it is definitely an interesting subject. I wonder if there IS actually some type of......something.....that makes your body want both....
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 14:32
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Okay so I am glad I am not the only one! It's true that I never was into sweets much, but I guess you want what you can't have!

Maybe your body just wants to balance itself out, to go back to your old way of eating? Hmm seems like nobody really knows. I think I will do search on the internet and see if I can find anything.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 19:45

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 273/-/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 27%

I never really put it together, but you are right....after I have a meal of meat and veggies...I too get hungry for sweets...like I am right now....going to have a sugar free jello to satisfy my sweet tooth.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 00:21

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Sugar is a cheap energy form for the body. Could it be that LC could be viewed by the body as some type of starvation (especially if in ketosis), so the sugar cravings kick in so that you will select carb choices for energy? The body has to work harder to make glucose for the brain out of protein and fats.

b/c I notice that these cravings have intensified, too.