Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 20:23

Plan: Atkins and Protein Power
Stats: 228/228/205
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Weight Watchers VS Atkins

Hi Folks...

I am at a crossroads. I started low carbing 5 years ago and lost 40 lbs. I've been on and off for the last 2 years. I'll do the dsiet for 2-3 week, then eat like a pig for a few days. Since I do more lowcarbing than binging, I am able to keep my wieght within ten lbs of when i was at my lowest. I went to the doc and found my Cholsterol at 345! Good was up, but bad really up. Needless to say, I don't know what to do. I worry about not eating veggies or fruit or getting enough fiber on the atkins diet. Any help one way or the other?? Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 21:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Umm, why aren't you getting enough vegetables, fruit and fiber? You may need to re-read Atkins and Protein Power for a few tips on maintenance if you haven't done so for a few years.

If I were you, I would make sure that I was eating lower-glycemic fruit and vegetables, maybe a bit of whole grain and legumes, and nix the binging. These foods are allowed in the maintenance phase of Atkins and in different amounts in PP, depending on the phase.

There was a recent discussion on blood tests. The link is here. It's not so much about having high LDL but the relationship between the numbers. I think reading it will help you out.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 21:34

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Seems to me Weight Watcher wouldn't be a good solution for you. You already have had good results with low carbing so you might as well stick with it. However maybe Atkins is too restrictive for you. Maybe if you were more satisfied with what you ate, you wouldn't be so tempted to binge. Why don't you check out some of the other low-carb programs that are out there.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...lans/index.html
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 08:41

Plan: TSP-II
Stats: 169/175/175
BF:
Progress: 100%

First, You have to identify what causes your binging.
It could be low seratonin levels or a certain carbohydrate.
Pick up the new book by Schwarzbein. The Schwarzbein Principle II.
The book explains why your body goes on a binge and what it takes to control it. It might be as simple as taking St. John's Wort.
More information on seratonin levels can be found in The Cortisol Connection by Shawn Talbott and 5-HTP by Michael Murray.