Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 23:16

Plan: maintenance
Stats: 145/125/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default I think I bought the wrong book

Can someone tell me about the adrenal healing diet?

I just bought SP I and think I really wanted II. The part I'm interested in is about exercise. About NOT exercising while the adrenal's heal. How long do you not exercise and when do you know to start up again.

Thanks

-Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 09:12

Plan: Starting sp
Stats: 120/124/110 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Exercise when you have burned out glands

Hi Iluv2cook:

The book you need is SPII.
Here's what it says:

Insulin-Sensitive w/ burned out glands:

You first need to be cleared by you physician before beginning or continuing your exercise program.

After clearance, you should do mostly flexibility/calmind and resistanc/adaptive exercises. Too much cardio raises adrenaline and cortisol lees, and you glads will burn out more.

If you are extremely exhausted and do not exercise, do not start and exercise program at this time. If you are extremely exhausted and are exercising, stop your exercise program at this time. After you have been eating well and resting for a minimum of one month, you may resume exercising again.

Start slowly with resistance and flexibility exercises first:
Flexibility: 15 to 30 min, 5-7 days/wk
Resistance: 30-60 min sessions 3 times/wk
Note: If you do not feel well enough to start or continue the above exercise program, try to incorporate 5 minutes of stretching in the morning and in the evening, and add in 5 min of walking twice/wk. This is a small but important start to get you ready to do resistance training again.

When you have partly healed your glands, add cardio to your program. start w/ 5-10 min sessins 2-3 times/wk at 65 to 75 % max heart rate on the days when you are not doing resistance training. Slowly build up to 20-25 min session 2-3 time / wk.

(Note: You will know when your glands are "partly healed" because you will begin to feel better and not worse).

While you are healing your metabolism, it is better to spread out your cardio to 3 times/wk. However, when you have completely healed, you may do 30-60 min of cardio 2 times/wk.
Alternate between cardio and resistance every other day - but do not exercise 7 days/wk.

Hope that helps you......
Rene
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 09:30

BF:

Thanks Rene,

I have 2 weeks to go on a 12 wk BFL (Body for life) body building challenge. Don't do cardio but am a stretching freak. Love yoga. Will take a month off when this is done and do the healing diet. See if that helps. I have energy but sometimes I have these pains in my side that I suspect is my adrenals. Makes it hard to keep the muscles that I am bulding.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 12:59

Plan: Starting sp
Stats: 120/124/110 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress:
Default body building....

Iluv2cook:

you're welcome.
Body for life - I think I've heard of it. Does it involve a nutritional program as well as body building?

I've recently upped my weight training - and I really enjoy it.
I'm hoping it will increase my metabolism......

Rene
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 22:17

BF:

Rene,

Yes, there is nutritional advice (low cal, low fat) but I ignore it. The cool part about BFL is that it takes less than 3 hours per week.

ivillage has a good description of the plan.

-Nancy