Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 14:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Vitamin B6 & B12?

Anyone point me in the right direction for information on Vitamins and their effectiveness for bumping up metabolism? I did a quick search on the website but didn't get what I was after.

I was told by a friend (his uncle did Dr. Bernstein clinic here in Canada) that B6 & B12 is a good thing to take during weight loss as it increases your metabolism. I think with the Dr. B clinic's they give you an injection but not sure of the quantity.

Or something else? at the moment I am not taking anything.....I need to get my Dr. Atkins book back from my friend!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:05

Stats: 275/241/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I take B-complex and I feel like it gives me more energy and increases my weight loss!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:18

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

Vitamin B6 is a VERY important vitamin but I would guess that this diet would supply you with enough. If you are taking a multi-vitamin already then you are probably getting enough or as Jessica is doing taking a B-Complex.

B6 plays many roles and one of those roles is to aid in metabolizing carbs, protein and fats.

Be aware that B6 can be toxic if overdosed. Typically a multi-vitamin will dose 10mg but may go as high as 75mg. Here in the states it is recommended to have 2mg per day.

Vitamin B12 also plays a role in metabolism but the body can actually store several years worth of B12 so a deficiency is pretty rare.

I do not see any reference to either vitamin increasing metabolism, more that they aid in metabolism.

Here is a link to an excellent article on the B vitamins. It is a very interesting read.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/vitamin-b.htm

OG
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:55
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I take Dr. Atkins Dieters Advantage formula, which has B vitamins in it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 01:31

BF:

thanks for the info and the lead on the website (what a wealth of information there!!) I will do a bit of reading and add B6 or a B-complex to my shopping list.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 15:10
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I was taking 10 different vitamins and supplements at one point, and at my last dr appt, I took my list and showed my doc what I was taking. She cut me back to 3 - a multivitamin w/o iron, Flax Oil (I dont eat fish), and Calcium w/Vitamin D. I was taking B-complex and my doc said it wasn't necessary as my multivitamin takes care of that. Just my two pennies! (and im saving a lot more!)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:02

BF:

and wouldn't you know that I read after I went shopping especially for vitamins! I picked up a B-Complex. I don't take anything else but wonder if I should be?

I will take a good look at the website Operaghost posted and see if I can get my head around that one. I find it all a little complex!

Thanks all and good luck!