Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 05:47

Plan: Scharzbein principle
Stats: 187/187/147 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Any advice on headaches

HI all

I had dreadful headaches all weekend and am wondering if they are associated with my diet? I have it again today too.

Does anyone get headaches that they can attribute to not eating enough, eating too much etc...

I'd appreciate any help. I am having a difficult time with my diet at the moment and am hoping this is not my body telling me that it doesn't suit me!!!!

please help

Clodagh
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 06:03

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Did they just start up? Or have you been having them since you started LC back in Feb?

Couple of things could be happening:
1) Allergies/pollen (it is summer after all )
2) Food allergy (have you eaten anything different in the past few weeks?)
3) Are you drinking enough water?
4) Are you keeping your calories up? (10 to 12 times your body weight)

I know I get the occassional headache. Sometimes it is allergies, sometimes it is because I haven't eaten or drank enough during the day. Or I get a really bad migrain if I eat white bread
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 06:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi from NY to Clodogh
I too am prone to mind-blinding headaches, especially when I eat the wrong carbs. I took a look at your journal and had a few thoughts: Even though Dr. Schwarzbein allows some of the foods you are eating, I saw some red flag/headache-causers on your lists. The first of these are the crackers. For me, I cannot even eat one of those Ryvita/Wasa crackers because they contain wheat or rye in some form. When I was on Atkins briefly a few years ago, these crackers wrecked havoc on my system; now I don't touch them. Another thing, instead of having an apple as your fruit, perhaps switch to berries. And make sure you are having some fat along with the fruit, instead of eating it on its own. I can't digest apples any more than I can digest bananas because they are so high in carbs, so I mostly eat berries. I have gotten migraines from eating the wrong type/too much fruit. Good luck to you and I hope this helped.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 07:05

Plan: Scharzbein principle
Stats: 187/187/147 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

thanks for your replies....

I used to get a lot of headaches before I started low carbing and I normally got them from waiting too long to eat. Until I realised what it was, I always got a headache on a Saturday morning. Then I realised that I was eating breakfast at 7.30 during the week, but not getting up til 12ish on Saturday, so I was not eating for over 12/14 hours!

Then when I started lowcarbing, I had much fewer headaches, as I eat more regularly.

I have been a bit fed up with my diet for the last few days and I have had more space between my meals than before so that might be part of it.

I always drink about 2 litres of water, so I don't think it's lack of water.

Allergy.....I have never really had any allergies...(well except for Champagne!) ...do you think I could have developed an allergy to things like ryvitas? I have been eating them for 20 yrs.

Yes, I should try to change what Fruit I eat - I'll certainly try that.

Overall I think it might be from not eating enough, often enough.

thanks a million for your help everyone.

Clo
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 07:19

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

The body is a funny and wonderful thing.

I took pencillin for years as a kid due to throat/ear infections. Then one day boom! Allergic reaction.

You can develop allergies to food or pollen. As a kid I never had an allergy problem. I still live in the same city I was born in but now my allergies kill me.

The only way to find out if this has happened is to take the suspect food out of your diet for a few weeks, then try it again.
If it gives you a headache or other ill feeling you probably are allergic to it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:14

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Skipping a meal can give me a headache easily.

I have also read where chocolate, caffiene, or alcohol ( especially the sulfites in wine) can trigger hedaches.