Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 16:36

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 192/190/178
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Newbie question-Weight loss

Hi fellow BFL'ers..I am brand new ..just started week 3 and I have a general question on weight loss expectations. For week 1 I dropped 3 lbs and was kinda "jazzed"..Then in week 2 I actually gained 2 lbs and kinda was " bummed". Now so as not to mislead you while I would give myself a solid B+ to A- for the weight/cardi excercise for the 1st 2 weeks , I can probably only give myself a C for the diet as I "snuck" in some extra night time snacks. So I know I have to work more dilligently on that part.

I read the book but I can't recall if it discussed any anticpated weekly weight losses.

My general questions is what is a reasonable amount of weight loss per week ? (if it makes a difference I am a male trying to loose about 15 lbs over the 12 weeks. Should I be discouraged by above. ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Rick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 01:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations on starting a fitness program!

If you're new to resistance training, your muscles will hold water for repair. As you start building muscle, you're weigh may not change much, but you will become leaner. So, it's better to track your measurements and body fat %. It gives you a more accurate picture of what's really happening. Are you low-carbing or following the BFL food plan?

There is no guarantee as to how much fat you will lose in any specific period of time. I went through one challenge and didn't lose an ounce of fat, but my back and torso started looking much leaner.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 08:52

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 192/190/178
BF:
Progress: 14%

Karen,

Thanks for your reply. I am following the BFL on both the excercise and the diet side. Do you think that is a good idea or should I be doing something different.?

Rick
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 09:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Do you think that is a good idea or should I be doing something different.?

You should do whatever works for you and you'll know that in time.

However, this forum - BFL - is a part of a much larger, low carb forum. Because you're eating differently - low fat, rather than low carb - it will be kind of hard for the members here to give you advice on eating if you need it. We're a friendly bunch, but BFL eating is not within the realm of our expertise.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: Newbie question-Weight loss

Quote:
Originally posted by surb7
I read the book but I can't recall if it discussed any anticpated weekly weight losses.
Hi Rick The book doesn't talk specifics about losses, to the best of my memory. What many of us have found is that a better gauge of how we're doing 'shrinkagewise' is the tape measure or an old pair of pants. The scale can only give you an absolute number, it can't tell you how much of your 190 lbs is fat and how much is lean mass.

HTH
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 07:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/175/145
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Rick- check this out

If you haven't already found it, there is a fantastic B4L support board at www.leanandstrong.com .

These guys and gals know everything there is to know about the program. Give it a look.

I did Atkins for 3.5 weeks and lost 6 lbs. (ok). Switched to body for life and have lost another 9 in 3 weeks. It is a great program.

Hope this helps.