Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/172/135 Female 5'7
BF:48/31/18
Progress: 68%
Unhappy Weight loss at a stand still

I have been doing very well losing weight on this diet, but since I started exercising 5 time a week, my weight loss has actually gone up 2 lbs . I have cut back on my carbs, staying around 15 net carbs per day, but it just isn't helping. I am also taking a carb blocker with those 15 carbs. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the issue, and how to fix it? Please!?!?!?!?!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:09

Stats: 152/147/120 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

You say you are exercising 5 times a week, so you may be building muscle.. which weighs more than fat. Don't judge your success solely by the numbers on the scale. Measure yourself or try on some smaller sizes of clothing... you may very well be slimming down while the scale says you are gaining, because you ARE gaining.. muscle! Keep up the good work.. I wish I was diciplined enough to workout 5 times a week
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:10
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

This is totally normal. Be patient and don't start tinkering with the plan. Cutting back on carbs too much will be counter productive. And make sure you are eating enough protein.

Your muscles are likely retaining water from the workout they're getting. You may also be building some lean muscle mass. This is a negative on the scale for a little bit, but a big positive in the long run.

Hang in there. The same thing happened to me. I realized I was better not to start tinkering and just hold the course. This is just a temporary pause on what you see on the scale. Rest assured, there's lots of good stuff going on in your body that will soon be apparent.

I have totally slacked off on exercise since the holidays. My weight is back to where it was pre-holiday goodies, but my measurements are up a teeny bit because I've been so lazy. It's a hard lesson to learn, but the scale is not everything. It is not your best measure of progress.

Getting in the habit of regular exercise is tough -- don't relax your guard at all. You're doing fantastic!!

Your scale will reward you soon.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:14

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Issabme....

You could very well be adding muscle with the excercise. I do have to ask, though, why you would feel a need to take a carb blocker for 15 grams of carb per day?? Atkins is low carb, not NO carb.
My advice would be to drop the carb blocker and bring your carb level back up to at least 20 grams a day (perhaps a bit more with all that exercise) by eating more veggies. Some people find that they actually lose better at a slightly higher carb level than they did sticking to 20 grams or less per day.
Weight also will vary from one day to the next so that 2 pounds could also be nothing more than water retention (strained muscles from excercise will retain water).
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 17:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I just lost 6 inches from exercising and gained 3 lbs. I have just come to the conclusion that weightloss has nothing to do with the scale. Muscle does weigh more than fat however muscle also boosts metabolism and will eventually gobble up that fat. So give the muscle some time to do its job.

Also, you are trying to do without any carbs. Up your carbs to 20 grams like you s'pose to and don't use any carb blockers, you do not need them. Your body will cooperate, trust it!

Black57

Last edited by black57 : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 17:19.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:24

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

OK, here are the exact numbers. I lost 4.5 inches and I lost .6 % body fat. Buuuttt ( and that's a big buttt ) I gained 3 lbs. Whazup with that?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:53

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Remove processed foods and count ALL carbs. Derive most, if not all of your daily carb consumption from veggies.

If you do these things, your weightloss should improve.