Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 09:37

Plan: 20 grams
Stats: 144/128/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What Exercises?

I Have Lost 12 Pounds And Need To Loose 10 More, I Need To Tone My Stomach And Love Handles, What Kind Of Workouts Do I Need To Be Doing, I Have A Treadmill To Use, Will This Help Trim My Stomach And Love Handles?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 10:03
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Short answer, yes.

Unfortunately as you'll hear a million times, you cannot spot reduce fat

Therefore to "trim stomach and love handles" you need to decrease overall body fat %age, your body will then decide where to move the fat from/ redistribute what's left to.

Best thing for reduction in bf is cardio. You might want to look into HIIT as this will raise your metabolism for hours afterwards, meaning you burn a lot more even when you're not exercising.

Increasing muscle mass means you will burn more calories at rest.

Depending on what you have ie do you just have a treadmill, or do you have weights, or can you join a local gym etc, will depend on what you can do. (although you can "make" weights out of milk jugs, water and a broom handle or plastic bags with cans in them etc etc)

When I looked into this, Body For Life was suggested to me on here which I've just started - it's a 6 day a week weights and HIIT program. Whether you want to give that much commitment to your exercise or not is up to you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 10:06

BF:

And as for toning (remembering that you wont really be able to see how toned it is till the bf is gone!) - crunches and oblique crunches are probably your best bet. I've started doing a core workout on a stability ball as recommended by my PT. It involves back raise type things for lower back, lying side crunches for obliques and incline crunches for abs (in particular lower abs) - I should really do flat crunches for upper abs too actually... hmmmmm I'll maybe wait until I'm closer to seeing them... which will hopefully not be too long at 6 workouts a week
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 10:06

BF:

can you expain what hIIT is?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 10:18

BF:
Default target

ok, so if I walked approx 1 mile a day on treadmill and did workout tape, appr 20 minutes of butts hips and thighs should i see some improvement in these areas?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 13:29

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

If walking 1 mile on a treadmill and doing a 20 minute tape is strenuous for you, it will help. If it isn't hard for you, it won't help much. I say that because neither of those are strenuous cardio or musclebuilding weight workouts. And that is what you need to do to most effectively burn fat and reshape your body. A good cardio program (HIIT is best, theres alot of info here) combined with strength training.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 14:06

BF:

As lilli says... if it's not stressing your body, it won't do very much for it...... basically training involves you pushing your body to it's limits so it then rebuilds itself stronger so the next time you try to do something, the limit is further away, but then you throw it the fact that you increase the intensity/ weight etc so it has to rebuild again and again.

Working specific areas will help to tone the muscles in those areas, either as a side effect of doing cardio or by targetting them with weights, but if you have a layer of fat in that area it wont help.

The main thrust of cardio vascular is just that... cardio being heart and vascular being blood vessels - it's main goal is to improve your heart.... running on the tread will to a certain extent help your butt hips and thighs, but you'd be better off also targetting them with resistance exercise such as weights designed to directly exercise those muscles.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 07:04
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%
Cool

HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training....

I've been doing BFL for almost four months and this type of workout routine has done wonders for me. The idea is to do increased levels of intensity in your training (be it cardio or weights).

For example... when I'm doing my cardio I start with a walking pace, at two minutes I'll take my speed up to a jog for approx. one minute. I'll then go down to a slower pace but not as slow as I was walking when I first started. At the next two minute mark I'll again go back up to a jog/run. It gets your heart pumping and your metabolism running high.

But like everyone else says you cannot spot reduce fat ... Overall weight loss will come off all over and eventually you will begin to see the muscle definition under all those layers of fat. I'm beginning to see this and it's pretty exciting!

good luck
Kiks